Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
me and friend did a 35 miler today around L.A. on our geared bikes. We ended at our local coffee spot to hang for a while. I noticed 2 kids outside, maybe 14-15 y/o on their fixies. One was brakeless. I couldn't help myself - I walked out in my full lycra kit and said

"Your bike is a one-speed?!"
yeah
"So you can't shift?"
no
"that's like the bikes they race on the oval tracks right? Do you guys race?"
no
"wait you don't have any brakes! How do you stop?"
you push backwards on the pedals
"woah you guys are crazy!"

I'm sure they were thinking "enough with the questions old man...." My friend was too embarrassed to stick around and watch.

what an ass I was. :D :cool: :p

maybe next time I see them I'll be on my fixed. "hey this is fun!!!!" :thumbsup:

·
Registered
563 Posts
You're a hipster too cause you go for a bike ride and hang out at a coffee shop afterwards to poke fun at other cyclists. The true definition of "Hipster" is someone who pokes fun at someone else for trying to be a "Hipster."

·
Premium Member
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alx said:
You're a hipster too cause you go for a bike ride and hang out at a coffee shop afterwards to poke fun at other cyclists. The true definition of "Hipster" is someone who pokes fun at someone else for trying to be a "Hipster."
dammit. I hate when that backfires.

// they loved the attention, so no harm done.

·
Registered
409 Posts
You know, I've given this some thought and I have decided that the real abomination to cycling as far as trends go is the 45 year old dentist 30 lbs overweight in full sponsor gear on a five thousand dollar bike doing 5 miles at a time around the park every other Saturday.

It's like if i were to go play football with my friends in full pads with an Authentic team jersey that cost me 400 bucks.

You know, at least the fixie trend is built around kids with no money who are learning a skill. I don't make a lot of money so the things that i buy for my bike are appreciated and learning to wrench my own bike has been as much fun as riding it.

As far as I'm concerned, if you ride a fixie for more than a year then you can hang out at whatever coffee shop you want. And we can all chuckle at the guy who can't bend his ankles tap dancing by to get his Cinnabon before he heads back home to put his 5 thousand dollar bike in the garage.

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,321 Posts
Sarcasm much?

MisterC said:
You know, I've given this some thought and I have decided that the real abomination to cycling as far as trends go is the 45 year old dentist 30 lbs overweight in full sponsor gear on a five thousand dollar bike doing 5 miles at a time around the park every other Saturday.

It's like if i were to go play football with my friends in full pads with an Authentic team jersey that cost me 400 bucks.

You know, at least the fixie trend is built around kids with no money who are learning a skill. I don't make a lot of money so the things that i buy for my bike are appreciated and learning to wrench my own bike has been as much fun as riding it.

As far as I'm concerned, if you ride a fixie for more than a year then you can hang out at whatever coffee shop you want. And we can all chuckle at the guy who can't bend his ankles tap dancing by to get his Cinnabon before he heads back home to put his 5 thousand dollar bike in the garage.
I have other things to worry about than what someone else is riding and wearing...

Nice story, Hollywood, made me smile!

·
Premium Member
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alx said:
Maybe he's the one that got this trend started in the first place . . .:eek:
heh.

It was a harmless little poke (where have I used that one before?). I'm friendly towards all cyclists, but I get a little peeved at said guys on $$$$ bikes that look down their nose at me. Race ya?

// I'm sure I meet more of the hipster criteria than I'd prefer to admit. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.