Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
done
3,293 Posts
If I had to decide between the two, I'd go for the BMC. Almost full SLX component spec, vs SLX/Alivio for the Scott. As far as my limited experience/knowledge goes, the Recon is a better fork than the XC 30. The Avid Elixir brakes don't have the best reputation, but that's about all I know about them - they sure do get spec'd on a lot of bikes, though. I don't know anything about the Scott's Shimano BR-M446 brakes. The BMC looks sexier, which is what matters.

On the other hand, if I had to stick to your budget of ~$1800, I'd find a hardtail that had a Rockshox Reba or a Fox Float fork, but that's not what you asked. And I guess it entirely depends on what you want to do with it and the type of terrain.

EDIT: Lemme rephrase my earlier response: If I had to decide between the two, I'd buy this. (Actually, this, but I'm partial to hardtails)

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
for $2kish the cannondale flash is hard to beat! it handles like its on rails and hard tails have great power delivery. If you are set on FS I cant help!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,100 Posts
I would usually compare the fork/wheels/cranks first.

BMC looks to have the better fork.
Wheels are pretty much at entry level.
The BMC have a higher level cranks.
Brakes are both entry level hydraulics.
Shifters leans slightly towards the BMC.

But all of the above are negligible, if the handling characteristics of the Scott are better than the BMC. You have to demo them to find that out for yourself. Include a climb on the saddle and some rocky/rooty descents. They both have different rear suspension systems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.