Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just got finished watching The Hard Road. I ride custom wheels from CC, but alot of the team featured in the movie, Netzero I think, rode wheels that looked like those BMX wheels I used to have so long ago...I was under the assumption that these were more time trial-like wheels and have seen them fairly frequently. Several of the guys in the movie rode them all the time, recovery rides, team training, races, etc. Are these prohibitively expensive, not as durable, weigh more? Just want to keep all my options open. I never see them offered in the catalogues I receive. Feel free to correct my lingo as well. :blush2:

I guess now having done research they are called aero? Star like in their shape and not spoke looking, rather made of carbon or something like it?

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Not having seen the video yet, I couldn't say. Were these Tri-spokes, or some other "solid spoke" wheels? Whatever they were, they might have been last year's time trial wheels, that they now use as everyday wheels because they received new stuff this year.

· Registered
302 Posts
The Armagh said:
So I just got finished watching The Hard Road. I ride custom wheels from CC, but alot of the team featured in the movie, Netzero I think, rode wheels that looked like those BMX wheels I used to have so long ago...I was under the assumption that these were more time trial-like wheels and have seen them fairly frequently. Several of the guys in the movie rode them all the time, recovery rides, team training, races, etc. Are these prohibitively expensive, not as durable, weigh more? Just want to keep all my options open. I never see them offered in the catalogues I receive. Feel free to correct my lingo as well. :blush2:

I guess now having done research they are called aero? Star like in their shape and not spoke looking, rather made of carbon or something like it?
Spinergy Rev-Xs. Banned from mass start races in most jurisdictions (something about what happens when a finger/hand or other body part gets caught in a spinning one in the event of a crash...). I think still OK for Time Trials most places - can be had reasonably cheaply on ebay but hub quality is considered "inconsistent" by some.

· Registered
232 Posts
Spinergy REv-X's were considered a strong and aero wheel when they came out, and with some minor modifications have lived up to that reputation. Spinergy, the company, however has not. Very difficult to deal with (tried for three months to get a spoke wrench for anothe one of their wheelsets and still couldn't get any respnse from them).

Unfortunatley, Rev-X's also have the reputation for failing catastophically when they fail---a small crack in their carbon fiber can extend and the whole wheel literally disintegrate underneath you at speed, very dangerous, especially if it is an older wheelset or you are a heavier rider.

They did make an interesting whoop-whoop-whoop sound as they went by you at speed though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.