Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I agree whole heartedly with the other user's family comments about Trautwig but I had to provide a self indulgent thread myself. This guy is a disrespectfull idiot who doesn't have a clue about cycling or cyclists and is truly ruining what is otherwise spectacular and sophisticated coverage of the "great event". His commentary is ignorant, rude, and terribly painful for the Tour fans who have to endure it. Please OLN, get rid of him. He is an embarrassment!!!!!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
just tivo the AM..

why is this so difficult? if you dont like trautwig or the cutters or kirsten's non cycling assignments just tivo the live coverage and don't watch the rest. my dog could get that done with less whining. something that seems to be missed is that there's alot of new, non bike geek viewers being courted to pay for this round the clock coverage. These people don't know phil or paul or miguel or eddie. They know lance. They probably think the cutters are riotous. or not. who cares? just watch the version (theres <b>3</b>) that you think most resembles what you want out of your coverage and enjoy it.

·
pack fodder
442 Posts
His role seems to be to put the Tour in laymen's terms so that the joe-six-pack fans can understand what's going on. Good idea to increase viewership; bad implementation. He's continually stepping on Bob Roll when Bob's trying to explain something. I think he's trying to put the Tour too much into simplistic terms with his analogies. His lack of knowledge of cycling is obvious. He's bad enough to make people long for Kirsten Gum!

Al does a decent job for MSG when he's in his element talking sports. When it comes to cycling, he's out of his element.

·
Registered
5 Posts
blackhat said:
why is this so difficult? if you dont like trautwig or the cutters or kirsten's non cycling assignments just tivo the live coverage and don't watch the rest. my dog could get that done with less whining. something that seems to be missed is that there's alot of new, non bike geek viewers being courted to pay for this round the clock coverage. These people don't know phil or paul or miguel or eddie. They know lance. They probably think the cutters are riotous. or not. who cares? just watch the version (theres <b>3</b>) that you think most resembles what you want out of your coverage and enjoy it.
Excellent point. OLN should use that in the promotions.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
OLN's Prime Time Coverage--where's Phil and Paul? where's Phil and Paul? where the f*

I have no problem with the prime time coverage being directed at the general public. But why have Al and Bob do the bulk of the evening commentary? I'm getting to point where I'll turn off the sound. Transitions to Phil and Paul, yes, but not the bulk of the evening show, please! The other night when this new policy was suddenly instituted I kept asking aloud, where's Phil and Paul? where's Phil and Paul? where the f**k are Phil and Paul? (driving my wife, who was doing something else at the time, crazy, but later she figured out why I was so upset). Yes, of course, it's better than "the olden days" when all there was was a snippet on "Wide World of Sports" -- and I won't even rant about the damn incessant commericals.

BTW I think Al Trautwig is doing a fine job as MC. He's leagues better than his predecessors. But keep his on-air time to a minimum (just as MSG does in their NY Knickerbocker coverage)!

·
Registered
598 Posts
3-11

One of the few benefits of working the crappy afternoon shift (3-11) is that I have the Phil and Paul show to watch while I'm working out in the basement. Thankfully I have yet to see the Roadside Tour or the Cutters or any of the stuff people seem to cringe about. From what I'm watching, OLN's doing a great job.

Other than that, the schedule pretty much sucks.

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Al Trautwig is doing a good job.

I know, i know it's very uncool not to bash the Wide World of Sports guy. The bashing bandwagon is in full steam.

I've heard him about 20 times starting with Lance's 5 Victories special. He's ok. He rounds out the team well. They don't need another Phil and Paul. Those guys are technically perfect even though they don't speak English and a non-cyclist probably won't understand them. Bob Roll is fine as the off-beat guy. Trautwig ties it all together, specially for the general audience.

The guy is fine and he's learning and he speaks as clear as day. He's not a cyclist but let's get over that.

francois

p.s. Kirsten Gum was in a cycling outfit today. Nice highlight!

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Yes and No...

francois said:
Al Trautwig is doing a good job.

I know, i know it's very uncool not to bash the Wide World of Sports guy. The bashing bandwagon is in full steam.

I've heard him about 20 times starting with Lance's 5 Victories special. He's ok. He rounds out the team well. They don't need another Phil and Paul. Those guys are technically perfect even though they don't speak English and a non-cyclist probably won't understand them. Bob Roll is fine as the off-beat guy. Trautwig ties it all together, specially for the general audience.

The guy is fine and he's learning and he speaks as clear as day. He's not a cyclist but let's get over that.

francois

p.s. Kirsten Gum was in a cycling outfit today. Nice highlight!

I agree that they need somebody other than our icons Phil and Paul (who, btw, should be teamed up with Bobke for the live call again) if they wanted to change the evening format to a more mainstream-sportsfan-friendly look. Just like last year (when they had 'the Gummer'), a non-cycling 'broadcaster' does the job.
The big difference is that Kirsten Gum knew she was not an expert. So, she asked the boys obvious-to-us questions and the boys came up with the not-so-obvious-to-Bubba-answers. Put it all together, throw in the odd tech report and cultural side trip and you get a nicely done evening show for everyone.
Ol' Trautwig on the other hand, is a pretentious fool who thinks that by sitting in a chair next to someone with a clue, you can all of a sudden become a sports commentator. Plus, someone must have told him that he was in charge.
I agree with the other posters above: Al must go away. He had his chance and blew it with his arrogance and ignorance.
...it's sort of like in baseball, you know, when the one guy gets like three three tries to hit that little ball into the field where the others are waiting to catch it, but he doesn't quite make it and then he has to sit down, but his temmate can try it, too, but only if he is not the third guy who tried, but if he is, ...aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
better than the alternative

Trautwig grates on me too sometimes, but it is far better to have to endure the extra stuff than to not have this coverage at all. If it helps build interest in the sport, then maybe next year, they can improve the coverage. It is obvious that Trautwig is new to the sport, but hey, give him a chance and he'll pick it up. I wish I could watch it live--that would be a lot better, I think. They need to have "compressed coverage" instead of "expanded prime time coverage".

The commercials are far more annoying than Trautwig, but it is all part of the price we pay for this coverage. Maybe, hopefully, some day, I will get that awful Starbucks/Survivor song out of my head ("Glen!... Glen, Glen, Glen. Glen's the man, going to work...)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts