Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One wheel or two...which is better for the road? I want to hear from those that have put in some major miles and how they like/dislike their trailers.
My buddy and I are in the early stages of planning a 1200 mile ride to south Florida from Kentucky. I want to take some items obviously, but I'm not looking to get near the 100 lb mark. I'm guessing I might get away with 50 to 60 lbs of gear.
Has anyone built their own? I would love to find someone that could build me a custom one. I have lots of BMX wheels sitting around that would be great for a trailer. I would hate to spend some major dough on a trailer that has cheaper wheels than what I have in storage already. LOL
Thanks for any and all advice!

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
For the loads you're talking about it sounds like you'd want to go with a BOB.

For the cost you're concerned about it sounds like you'd want to go with a Burley.

FYI, a Tubus Cargo rear rack can hold that weight. Unless you're talking about a trailer in addition to an existing rack and panniers.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I love my BOB trailer. The single wheel tracks nicely behind the bike, and takes turns well. That said, IME, the handling gets funny long before I approach its 70-lb weight limit. If you're looking to carry ~60 lbs. of gear for two people, you may want to split up your load. Or maybe a 2-wheel trailer would be better for that much weight....what do others think?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have the BOB Ibex. Mostly ue it for groceries and errands into town. That would be my pick for a 1200 miler. The suspension is nice to have, the trailer follows my wheel great and the waterproof bag holds tons of stuff. I've loaded it to 65-75 lbs with no problem except for the uphill ride home.

Jake

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.