Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me out…. This is for school

Ok I hope that I have your attention, I’m a senior in high school and my english teacher decided to give my entire class a thesis paper with only 5 days to write it:mad2: , and the end of of my track season isn't helping out on the time restraint. I spent the first 20 second on what to do it on, which wasn’t hard, biking. And she is requesting a survey be done.

Now the paper is on cyclists and training. What I was hoping for from everyone was to tell me out of the fallowing choices is, What is the hardest part of training that a cyclist endures when trying to reach a goal that is set? And if you would like to give an explanation as to why you picked that one feel free.

Your choices are

A. Commitment to your training
B. Intensity
C. Knowing how to train properly
D. Analysis your data, such as form a diary you keep
E. Nutrition
F. Overtraining/ burning yourself out
G. Strength training , such as using weights
H. Other, please explain

Everything that is put on here is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

· Registered
635 Posts
C. For sure.
heres why i didnt chose a-b, d-h.
a. i love cycling and even after the worst ride ever all i can think about is my next ride/route
b. i tend to ride with people so we ride hard, its not an issue. when i need to do recovery i ride alone, or i go with one other person and its not an issue
d. i use a website to keep track of stuff, out of habit i log on and enter my data while the shower is warming up post ride, keeps things easy
f. im usually riding with more experienced riders and they have given me some general tips to prevent this sort of thing.
g. i dont weight train during the "season" its more of a winter only thing
h. nope
and here is why i chose c.
its hard to know what to do to maximize results. i just go out and ride, i do some hard rides, some long rides, and some recovery rides. i like intervals. im not experienced enough yet to have a real program, but once i need one ill have no clue.
edit - i left out e. i am skinny, i like healthy foods, i eat alot post ride, but i still don't gain weight, so i dont see it as an issue.

· Registered
583 Posts
for me its E

Never had a problem w/ commitment to training, and with technology today it is not hard at all to analyze data or gain access to any training info you want.

Staying out of the fridge after dinner...that one is what gets me

· Registered
208 Posts
My vote would be for a combination of A & F; the root problem of A is F...

Basically, my whole life is committed to figuring out every possible way to be able to ride faster/farther/harder. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but after months of keeping up in school, working 15-20hrs/week and riding another 10-20, skipping a ride or two to just relax becomes quite inviting. Sometimes I just start thinking to myself why am I doing this? What am I getting out of it? Sometimes it is tough getting out, but once I'm out, all my doubts disappear and I remember why I do what I do!

Good luck with your essay, and I hope we can help out a little

· Registered
94 Posts
Stuff you wanted to know

Grey,
I would have to say A, C and F

The commitment to training is easy, but finding the time to commit when all of lifes other obligations (school, family, peers (girls included) job) can make this a tuff nut to crack.
Know how to train is also difficulty. There are so many schools of thought and not everyone responds to training in the same way. Not everyone's body type is the same, if that were the case training would be easy. We all can not climb like Pantani, or time trail like an Armstrong or be a Diesel like a Jens Voight.
Nutrition is also a difficult thing to master. Even with all our knowledge there is still more speculation and inference than hard cold fact. I use in point all the different versions of the food pyramid that have come out! All the nutritional supplements that are out that as well that promise more wattages, increased VO2, longer endurance, when in fact they only may serve to lighten your wallet and do nothing more.
My 0.02 cents:
the spyder
:mad2:

· BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
A, but with a qualifier. It's not a lack of commitment to training, but often finding the time to train effectively. Work and family take up a lot of time in the day. I do the best with the time that I have, but when it comes down to it racing is a hobby, now if I was getting paid for it that would be a different story all together.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
grayfox2014 said:

Ok I hope that I have your attention, I’m a senior in high school and my english teacher decided to give my entire class a thesis paper with only 5 days to write it:mad2: , and the end of of my track season isn't helping out on the time restraint. I spent the first 20 second on what to do it on, which wasn’t hard, biking. And she is requesting a survey be done.

Now the paper is on cyclists and training. What I was hoping for from everyone was to tell me out of the fallowing choices is, What is the hardest part of training that a cyclist endures when trying to reach a goal that is set? And if you would like to give an explanation as to why you picked that one feel free.

Your choices are

B. Intensity
E. Nutrition
H. Other, please explain

Thank you
Is English your first language? If so, I think you need to pay more attention in class.

· Registered
19,427 Posts
Well, BJ, you're terribly productive...

all you can provide to the conversation is a snide comment on someone's
computer typos? so the guy forgot a word or two. I'm a clinical researcher with a masters degree and still make spelling errors on occasion....then again I must not have been paying attention during those courses. :confused:

anyway, to answer the question at hand...would have to be a problem with overtraining/burn out during these late spring months. lots of intense training per usual, not enough time for life's other things, so the balance starts to tip back and forth while I try to get it together for the summer racing months...

· Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
grayfox2014 said:

Your choices are

B. Intensity
E. Nutrition
H. Other, please explain

Thank you
H. time restraint

G

·
definently c
unforunatly its not like running track at your high school. you dont have a coach whos been coaching for years and knows what hes doing, you have to come up with it on your own and figure out what works on your own. im in the same boat as you, i run track and the only time i can ride is after i am done with a running workout so its really easy for me to get burned out to early in season because their is no one telling you what to do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.