Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the begginers section also, but hope to get some insight from the people around here as well. I am new to road bikes and want to ride recreationally.

I've narrowed it down to a new 2006 Allez sport and a 2007 Raleigh Grand Prix. I wanted to know what you guys though of these deals:

2006 Allez Sport

$760
Tiagra Shifters/FD
105 RD
I threw the chain a few times while test riding but the guy helping me got it to stop (he put new gear rings on the front and installed a new chain). Other than that, it rides pretty well. Is this normal? I still feel like this is a high price for a 2 year old model.

2007 Raleigh Grand Prix

$800
105 Shifters/FD
Ultegra RD
I didn't spend as much time with this bike, but everything was working properly as far as i could tell.

On paper, the Raleigh looks better. I don't know much about the Raleigh brand, but it seemed to get lower reviews here on RBR. It doesn't seem to get much mention when people are discussing beginner bikes. I like the Allez because of the sweet clean white look, and It rides pretty smoothly aside from throwing the chain. I also have heard that the frame of the Allez provides a smoother ride. is that true? I would go with the Allez base model, but I don't like the thumb shifters!

Any feedback is appreciated, including other recommendations in this price range.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
My first road bike was an '05 Allez Sport. Even though I've subsequently purchased two more (a Roubaix, and then this year a Tarmac), I still have and occasionally ride my Allez. I'm glad I bought it and still have it. At this point in time, the only original item on it is the seatpost. :)

I still feel like this is a high price for a 2 year old model.
I agree. It's not 10-speed, whereas the Raleigh probably is. The Raleigh has better components.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply doc. I too want a bike that will last me. I tried asking the owner for a better deal on the allez, but he said that's the bottom line. Any tips on what I can do?

I honestly don't think he's giving me a fair price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.