Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I just purchased two sets of wheels. One is a set of 08 Easton EA90 SLX,s and the other is some 08 American classic 350 sprints. I weighed the Easton's and they weighed in at 1505g wo/skewers pretty light but they feel heavy when riding may be toatlly mental thought. So i purchased a set of 08 American classic 350's. I mentioned to some poeple that i know that i purchased the AC 350's and said they were junk :yikes: and i would have all kinds of problems such as bearings, wheel flex, freehub maintanence not so easy, always trueing wheels ect. ect. I am under the weight limit for these i weigh in at 160 pounds. What ever wheels i choose they will be for everyday training I dont race road bikes but do race mountain bikes. I would like to no if any one has a pair or has true knowledge or personal experiance about these wheels from 07 to present. Thanks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Easton's seem to be pretty stiff and good quality. I sold a pair of Ksyruim ES to purchase these EA90's because I find the baded spokes on mavic's to create a feeling of a full dished wheel when riding in crosswinds and push the bike around. I ride alone due to my work hours so its not like i can take a break and draft when i get tired. So felt I would benifit better from these wheels for training.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
have 3 sets of american classic 350s, all purchased from eBay. I love them. Can't beat the price for the weight. You shouldn't have any problems locating bearings for them seeing how they are 08. shouldn't have to replace bearings for at least 2 seasons. Your light at 160lbs, so you could of gotten the model with SAPIM spokes, which would put the wheelset closer to 1300gs then 1505. i'm close to 200lbs and wheel flex is not an issue, none are built with the Sapim spokes and all are of the 28f - 32r lacing. One set was relaced with revolutions on the front and non-drive side, DTdb14 on the drive side, these are my favorite. Free hub maintenance is only when you replace bearings. i've taken one of the rears apart because it was setup to tight, wasn't difficult to do. Haven't had to true them yet, oldest is 2 seasons old. they were cheap enough to me that if i crack a rim i'll rebuild using the hub. Even at new cost these are a great deal in my opinon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
EA90 slx

I've got about 2000 miles on a set of the eastons and your right they ride alittle heavy but I still like the wheels. I'm passing guys down hill that weigh 40lbs more than I do. The bearing are very smooth and I haven't had to do anything to them. Braking is very smooth. Would buy again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had "Velomax Orion Comp" that are pretty close to the Eastons (didn't Easton buy them?) and they had good hubs but went out of true a couple of times I was heavier though. I have the American Classic 350 standard spokes for the last 2K miles and I love them! They are very fast and as someone mentioned fairly light. I would go for the AC wheel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This all very helpful info I am stating to lean towards the AC 350's. This may sound stupid but they would look better on my bike to. Which to some poeple doesnt matter a whole lot but I think if you dont feel good about your bike incuding the way it looks it can effect your riding style ,training and confidense on the bike. Looks do matter

·
limit screwed
807 Posts
For daily riding, I'd go with the Eastons. You may have problems with the AC's you may not; I know a lot of people (personally) who like them, and many that have had problems.

The Eastons, though, are almost universally liked. VERY durable, stiff, light enough for my use. The Eastons are also no more difficult to service than the ACs.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Disclaimer - I work for American Classic....

I've had 350's, 420's and Hurricanes. I broke one hub that was a prototype, but have not had a problem since. I am 240lbs and have never broken a spoke on any of them. I'm way over the weight limit for those wheels, but they let me test them and I have only had a problem on the 420's due to low spoke count so they were a bit too flexy for me. I'm realistic so I typically ride 32H wheels for durability, but I also race with the Carbon 38's and Carbon 58's with 18h/28h setups and haven't had a problem with those at all....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.