Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
all the gear - no idea
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old (1980s?) Reynolds 531 steel Parker frame with a selection of Campagnolo parts that I was going to renovate. I got as far as fitting ergo levers to replace the down tube shifters before I realised that the bike was too small, but I would still like to know what model range the Campagnolo components are from. Excuse the dirt and rust that feature prominently in the accompanying photos! Bike is 8 speed, threaded headset, Cinelli quill stem and bar.

Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Croce d'Aune

but with Chorus brakes. It was in between C-Record and Chorus at the time which was very late 80's and very early 90's. Also available with a version of the Delta brakes. Those single pivots that you have are really nice looking.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,565 Posts
Looks like 91 C-Record to me.
I think that they still used the Cobalto brakes in 90'.
Just a guess.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
Croce d'Aune

For the most part. I had a bike years ago that had the same group on it but with the Delta brakes. Great stuff. Looks like the components are in terrific shape. Find a frame that fits you and you'll have a great bike.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not Croce' De Aune

The entire group appears to be Athena. The brakes are definetely not Chorus as the arms of the brakes do not pass through/around one another. They are clearly Athena. I had an identical set up on an old aluminum Guerciotti in about 89 or 90 time frame. If I recall correctly it had 6 or 7 speed downtube index shifting that was just horrible. Otherwise it was a very pretty group, although heavier than Chorus or C-record. Athena was later replaced by Centaur, it was their third level group after C-Record and Chorus. Croce' de Aune (like Sante' its Shimano equivelant) was really just a mixture of Record and Chorus pieces with a very nice finish. It was labeled separately as Croce' de Aune, however. For example every Croce' de Aune brake set I have seen shared common parts with the C-Record parapull brakes.

Hope this helps.

jhr

·
Registered
777 Posts
Croce D'Aune was a unique group

And not just a re-labeled mish-mash of C-Record and Chorus.

The rear derailluer is a give-away for CdA, as it used a unique pushrod to move the parallelogram. I have one on my Otero, you can see a picture of it in the "Retro Pictures" thread on the Retro-Classic forum. It's one of the best-shifting friction derailleurs I've ever used. The CdA Deltas shared the exterior forgings with the C-Record ones, but the internals were different. The CdA Deltas were considered to me inferior to the C-Records in many ways. CdA may have used the Chorus crank, I'm not sure.

For the OP, I'm pretty sure this group is the pre-Ergo Athena. Probably 1990 or '91. There was at least one year when Athena used the Chorus "Monoplanar" brake calipers, but I think that was in '92. Athena and Chorus shared a crank, IIRC.

--Shannon

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,565 Posts
Syncro shift levers were never 8 speed. The only 8 speed downtube levers were Record. I'm pretty sure that Campy didn't come out with 8 speed until 90. I'm also pretty sure that it wasn't available to the general public until 91.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You are right about the derailer

tube_ee said:
And not just a re-labeled mish-mash of C-Record and Chorus.

The rear derailluer is a give-away for CdA, as it used a unique pushrod to move the parallelogram. I have one on my Otero, you can see a picture of it in the "Retro Pictures" thread on the Retro-Classic forum. It's one of the best-shifting friction derailleurs I've ever used. The CdA Deltas shared the exterior forgings with the C-Record ones, but the internals were different. The CdA Deltas were considered to me inferior to the C-Records in many ways. CdA may have used the Chorus crank, I'm not sure.

For the OP, I'm pretty sure this group is the pre-Ergo Athena. Probably 1990 or '91. There was at least one year when Athena used the Chorus "Monoplanar" brake calipers, but I think that was in '92. Athena and Chorus shared a crank, IIRC.

--Shannon
You are right about the derailer and the delta's, but there was no distinct headset, front derailer, bottom bracket or crank for the Croce' de Aune groupo. A complete Croce' group is actually a collectors item.

Athena and Chorus never shared parts in the same model year, although they did have some common parts (brakes and cranks). When an improvement was made to Chorus, often last years Chorus part showed up as a new Athena part. Campy still does this, most recently with the carbon 10sp. shifters. Last years record is this years chorus.

jhr

·
Registered
777 Posts
jhr said:
You are right about the derailer and the delta's, but there was no distinct headset, front derailer, bottom bracket or crank for the Croce' de Aune groupo. A complete Croce' group is actually a collectors item.

Athena and Chorus never shared parts in the same model year, although they did have some common parts (brakes and cranks). When an improvement was made to Chorus, often last years Chorus part showed up as a new Athena part. Campy still does this, most recently with the carbon 10sp. shifters. Last years record is this years chorus.

jhr
I remeber the CdA crank being kind of a hybrid of C-Record and Chorus. Five-arm, like Chorus, but without the raised "lip" around the crank bolt that the Chorus crank had, so more like C-Record in that respect.

What's weird is that Campy came up with CdA as the true "pro" group, with C-Record supposedly being re-targeted to well-heeled recreational riders. Guess we all know how that turned out. Although, given how well the CdA "pushrod" derailleur shifts, I wonder how many pros used them on otherwise C-Record bikes. Got any info?

--Shannon

·
all the gear - no idea
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks re old campy ID

Thanks to everyone so far for their help. We seem to be getting a variety of opinions!!

Further info - the downtube shifters were indexed 8 speed.
The rear derailleur does not have a push rod (a la croce d'aune ?)
I read some where that the square stamped on the back of the crank denotes super record.
The finish on the brakes, derailleur and cranks is super smooth - one wipe and it gleams.

Perhaps this is a mix of gruppos from the late 80's early 90's- I still love it!

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think you have it backwards

tube_ee said:
I remeber the CdA crank being kind of a hybrid of C-Record and Chorus. Five-arm, like Chorus, but without the raised "lip" around the crank bolt that the Chorus crank had, so more like C-Record in that respect.

What's weird is that Campy came up with CdA as the true "pro" group, with C-Record supposedly being re-targeted to well-heeled recreational riders. Guess we all know how that turned out. Although, given how well the CdA "pushrod" derailleur shifts, I wonder how many pros used them on otherwise C-Record bikes. Got any info?

--Shannon
If I recall correctly, C-Record was the high end racer group while Croce' de Aune was targeted towards high end recreational riders. The theory was that well heeled recreational riders would give up some level of function to gain a more beautiful form. Croce' de Aune was more polished than C-Record and was supposed to be more beautiful or pleasing to the eye. Record was supposed to be all about function and durability.

As I recall the plan really backfired because no one wanted to admit that they weren't a potential racer. Ironically Campy finally had to blow the Croce' de Aune stuff out at huge discounts, and as a result a lot of it wound up on hard core (ie poor) racers bikes.

As a practical matter there was very little difference between any of Campy's top three lines (C-Record, Croce' de Aune, and Chorus) except a few grams in weight. Even Athena was about the equal of the others in terms of performance and durability ( I do believe a lot of the Athena parts like the cranks were cast rather than forged). I once remember looking at Record, Chorus and Athena front derailers at the same time. Except for a titanium bolt here or there and a machining away of some metal they were all the same derailer, the parts would definetely interchange.

jhr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.