Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out of cycling for a while now due to injury and would,like to sell my bike but not sure what it's worth. Here's the description:
"2005 Trek Madone 5.9 SL, 60cm, Excellent conditon, never crashed, Velo tape installed since new so no scratches either. Dura Ace deraileurs, Dura Ace shifter/brake levers, Dura Ace brakes, Dura Ace titanium cassette (10 speed). Shimano Ultegra pedals. Bontrager carbon stem, Bontrager carbon handlebar, Bontrager carbon seatpost and Bontrager carbon crank (compact). Chris King headset (silver), FSA bottom bracket. Fizik saddle. New VDO computer with altimeter. New carbon Elite bottle cages. New KMC chain. DT Swiss 240 hubs (black), DT Swiss RR 1.1 rims (black), DT Swiss 15/17/15 gauge spokes (black), DT Swiss aluminum nipples (red), Bontrager Skewers (black), Michelin Pro Race tires."
I also have the original wheels but the rear rim is flat-spotted, hub is still good. It's andromeda blue.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice,
Darell

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No spam, just want to sell it on my local Craig's list. I've asked 1500.00 but got no offers. Do you even know what spam is?

Darell

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
PM'd you some thoughts. Don't expect to get $1500 for a ten-year-old bike. I got a 2007 Dura Ace 7800 bike for ~$850 back in 2011.

DA 7800 is nice, but a few generations old now.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Post some pic's or its not real..... :D

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Thanks jet dog, kinda what I was thinking too, hard to see that depreciation though.

Darell
That's why I don't get rid of many bikes unless I'm giving a great deal to a friend. In most cases I think it's worth keeping the bike "just in case" rather than going through the hassle of selling it considering how little they can be worth.

·
Registered
20,734 Posts
No spam, just want to sell it on my local Craig's list. I've asked 1500.00 but got no offers.
You got no offers because you're asking too much.
2005 Trek Madone SL 5.9 - New and Used Bike Value

Thanks jet dog, kinda what I was thinking too, hard to see that depreciation though.
Quite easy to see. People don't want 10yro bikes unless there's something really special or custom. For $1500 you can get a lot newer better bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Post some pic's or its not real..... :D
Since when is that a rule? Espescially since I'm not selling it here, I only asked for help with pricing it so I can sell it on Craigslist. That way I hand over the bike to the buyer, the buyer hands me the cash, in person.
You can find it under,
"2005 Trek Madone 5.9 SL - $1000 (sonoma)"
2005 Trek Madone 5.9 SL
if you're interested.
Darell

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's why I don't get rid of many bikes unless I'm giving a great deal to a friend. In most cases I think it's worth keeping the bike "just in case" rather than going through the hassle of selling it considering how little they can be worth.
I agree, that's why I've held on to it this long but I don't see myself riding in the future.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I've been out of cycling for a while now due to injury and would,like to sell my bike but not sure what it's worth. Here's the description:
"2005 Trek Madone 5.9 SL, 60cm, Excellent conditon, never crashed, Velo tape installed since new so no scratches either. Dura Ace deraileurs, Dura Ace shifter/brake levers, Dura Ace brakes, Dura Ace titanium cassette (10 speed). Shimano Ultegra pedals. Bontrager carbon stem, Bontrager carbon handlebar, Bontrager carbon seatpost and Bontrager carbon crank (compact). Chris King headset (silver), FSA bottom bracket. Fizik saddle. New VDO computer with altimeter. New carbon Elite bottle cages. New KMC chain. DT Swiss 240 hubs (black), DT Swiss RR 1.1 rims (black), DT Swiss 15/17/15 gauge spokes (black), DT Swiss aluminum nipples (red), Bontrager Skewers (black), Michelin Pro Race tires."
I also have the original wheels but the rear rim is flat-spotted, hub is still good. It's andromeda blue.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice,
Darell
nice spam
It's dangerous unless you have disk brakes on it when you ride 50 mph downhill in the rain

I wouldn't say it's spam unless he said something like "PM me if you want it".

Then, he would have to buy a classified and might get away with linking to it.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
A picture is worth a 1000 words.. you’re asking us what we think the value might be but have nothing to go on but written description...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Looks nice but it is a large size. It will be a tough sell. If it was more of a common size it would be a faster sale. I often see large and small bikes sell for much less on ebay than say a 54cm.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Flip side is that if you have patience, there will be some guy out there looking for something exactly like your bike, who thinks Dura Ace 7800 is the best ever and 11 speeds aren't worth it, etc... good luck again.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
$1000 is a fair price (especially in the high price Bay Area), $800 will be a great price.

However, like some said, size 60cm is a much larger than average (54cm) frame size. So you'll need somebody at least 6'3" to come along.

On the other hand, Dura Ace 7800 is a highlight of your bike. Yes, DA 7800 is better than 7900, and if it weren't for the extra gear on DA 9000 and front shifting ease, then 7800 also trumps 9000 too.

·
Registered
580 Posts
It is really clean and pristine from what I see in the ad wish you luck on the sale. I would shoot for the top end of the blue book for sure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts