Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I bought a Cannondale Ultra Slice si (carbon) fork off of ebay. Once I got it, i started to questions the fork. The fork sounds really similar to a alluminum fork like on my other bikes. I checked it with my bianchi giro, and it sounded different. THe carbon on my bianchi sounded dead, and the fork on my ebay fork sounds bright. Is there anyway to check to make sure it is carbon? on the fork it says (CARBON BODY and ALLUMIUN STEERER. I could just be wrong. I know this is stupid question but please help! THank you for your time.:D

· Man, I'm Awesome
2,203 Posts
If you have a small hacksaw you could cut open one of the legs. Of course the fork will be useless then.

Seriously though. The first time I saw a Trek OCLV, about 5-6 yrs ago, I would have swore up and down that it was an aluminum bike if I hadn't read all about them in their catalog.

I doubt Cannondale would try to pull a fast one on the public like that.

· You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
I've never seen an al fork that had the profile of a fork like the Slice (or other wide-bladed carbon forks). If it were really re-badged aluminum I would think the shape would be all wrong. Without seeing it, hard to say, but I can't really believe that any vendor would really do that.

· Registered
9 Posts
bianchi_kid45 said:
Hi all,
I bought a Cannondale Ultra Slice si (carbon) fork off of ebay. Once I got it, i started to questions the fork. The fork sounds really similar to a alluminum fork like on my other bikes. I checked it with my bianchi giro, and it sounded different. THe carbon on my bianchi sounded dead, and the fork on my ebay fork sounds bright. Is there anyway to check to make sure it is carbon? on the fork it says (CARBON BODY and ALLUMIUN STEERER. I could just be wrong. I know this is stupid question but please help! THank you for your time.:D
Most of their forks are ALU with a Carbon overlay. You get the look and aesthetic effect. But the fork will be a little on the heavy side. :)

· Registered
1,558 Posts
velocampyproducer said:
Most of their forks are ALU with a Carbon overlay. You get the look and aesthetic effect. But the fork will be a little on the heavy side. :)
I'm not sure where you get this info, but as to their road bikes in recent years, "that ain't right." I had that same fork on a 2001 r2001si and it was carbon with an aluminum steer. It had a firm, crisp feel. As another poster noted, aluminum can't be made in those shapes.
Todays Cadd 8s have full carbon forks from top to bottom, even on the r800.

· Registered
9 Posts
AlexCad5 said:
I'm not sure where you get this info, but as to their road bikes in recent years, "that ain't right." I had that same fork on a 2001 r2001si and it was carbon with an aluminum steer. It had a firm, crisp feel. As another poster noted, aluminum can't be made in those shapes.
Todays Cadd 8s have full carbon forks from top to bottom, even on the r800.
Actually...these days you can manipulate aluminum quite easily using a Hydroform Process. Colnago uses it currently along with a few other big name manufacturers who have the money and engineering capability to do so. The frame building technology is really good these days.

Other than that, I know for a fact that the forks these guys use DO HAVE ALU wrapped in a Carbon overlay. Not sure if this one specifically has this type of fork, but I know their lower end bikes indeed have these types of forks to give the aesthetic effect. It's still a great fork, but just on the heavier side of the scale. [That's only if you're counting] :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.