Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I am new to road cycling and using this site to expand my knowledge. I have read plenty of hate threads about the new Masi bikes. That being said, I purchased a new 2007 Masi Vincere for $700 being clearanced out. I purchased it mainly because of the 10 speed 105 groupset with Ultegra Rear Derailleur. I am 5'9" and weight 195lb, bought the bike to get in better shape. Here are the specs:

Crankset: TruVativ Elita C 2.0 w/ Giga X-Pipe integrated BB; 50/34
Bottom Bracket: TruVativ Integrated w/ Crankset
Freewheel: Shimano 105 10 Speed 11-25
Handlebars: Ritchey 6061 31.8mm
Stem: Masi ATS Adjustable Height System
Hubset / Wheelset: Shimano R500
Tires: Vittoria Zaffiro 23c Wire Bead
Brakes: Shimano BR560 Cold Forged Dual Pivot

I have already installed Shimano SPD-M520 clipless pedals. I am on tight budget or I would have bought a more expensive bike. I am just curious what change could make the most impact for the buck.

Thanks in advance!

· passive/aggressive
236 Posts
you could dump the stem once you find the length and rise that suit you, that would drop a few ounces, otherwise just ride it and replace parts as they wear out.

Usually the best location for upgrades is the wheelset. You can easily lose considerable weight with a new wheelset and it is in the most important location, rotating mass, that said it is sometimes better to run a stouter stronger wheel set when you are learning so that you don't ruin a nice new expensive set.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I will abuse my wheel set then replace. Have any suggestions on Wheelsets and tires that don't break the bank?

· Registered
1,931 Posts
FatTireFred said:
if you're a n00b on a tight budget, just ride the thing and don't worry about upgrading...
+1000. Ride it lots and you will know when you are ready to upgrade and what you would like to do. Best thing is just to ride, start saving for a nicer bike down the road. After you put on 5-10k miles, you will have found out if you love road riding and will be doing it the rest of your life, you will be in the shape that you want, and will have a better understanding of what you want next.
b21

· Registered
549 Posts
Here is my blog on a 2006 Masi Vincere I built.

http://buildingaracebike.blogspot.com/

I get many compliments on how "pretty" the bike is and many long stares from those who obviously don't recognize the name or know the significant history of Masi.
The final weight is 17lb 1 oz. Not bad for an all aluminum frame. This is a good stiff frame! The stock front fork(carbon blades with aluminum steer tube) is a bit harsh but not too bad. Replacing it with an all carbon would be the only reasonable swap if at all.
You must understand that many frames today are made by Kinesis, rebadged, and used in many popular companies lineups. I believe Masi is one. Kinesis is a Tiawanese company and makes a good product IMO. You will see other company's similar bikes costing much more. I have seen Specialized, Fuji, Motobecane, etc. that have many identical qualities.
IMO the next step is a carbon rear triangle and then a 15lb superbike.
If I were you, I would focus on wheels and other components as if you will keep the new parts even when getting into a new frame. Most factory bikes currently sold for less than say $3000 are built with at least some heavier "jobber" parts that could stand a little upgrading. Wheels is usually one. That adjustable stem must weigh a ton. Find the position for you with it then replicate the angle/length with a fixed stem. You can keep it for future setups. When looking for new parts compare weights rather than brand names as I found an Oval brand stem($20 or so) that was lighter than many much more expensive stems. Anything carbon fiber wrapped is a joke and will weigh more - I would avoid it as an asthetic scam.
Good luck!
Dave
KC

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is wheelset, tubes and tires do you use? Thanks for the tips and your bike looks good!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.