Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this unnatural yearning to build this old POS Gitane Interclub up into a fixie. It's in OK condition, but it has sentimental value. Very similar to my 1st real road bike. I do have a fixed Bianchi (not the Pista-an old 80's 27 incher). Due to new fiscal responsibilities (read, I DON"T NEED 2 FIXED GEAR BIKES), I'm having a hard time deciding; keep the Bianchi (which rides nice, but I just don't LOVE it), or build the Gitane up......hummm, what to do!?

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
You answered your own question.

Have you bothered to re-read your own post? Not to be stern, but itis painfully obvious what you want to do. Moreover, unless you're planning on doing some serious racing and a frames is the proper size, a frame does little more than hold all the other parts together.

The key factor is the stoked factor, which translates into more use and enjoyment. Your stoke can come from vintage-ness, rarity, or even better, and in your case, personal sentiment. Come on . . . is this even a question, or are you rubbing it in that you have two frames to build up?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know. Selling the Bianchi. Any takers? :)

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Whoa there Nelly!

Kram59 said:
I have this unnatural yearning to build this old POS Gitane Interclub up into a fixie. It's in OK condition, but it has sentimental value. Very similar to my 1st real road bike. I do have a fixed Bianchi (not the Pista-an old 80's 27 incher). Due to new fiscal responsibilities (read, I DON"T NEED 2 FIXED GEAR BIKES), I'm having a hard time deciding; keep the Bianchi (which rides nice, but I just don't LOVE it), or build the Gitane up......hummm, what to do!?
Old POS Gitane=French

Old POS French= Some very odd dimensions and threading

Old POS odd dimensions and threading=trouble

Make sure the headset and BB are in perfect condition and the bar and stem fit you exactly or you are going to end up in a world of $$$$ hurt converting that POS Gitane into something that works.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
Kram,

Even if the Gitane doesn't work out to convert to a fixed you need to sell the Pista.

Find something that you will love and build it up. Either use the stuff off the Pista and sell the frame or sell the whole Pista and start from scratch.

Life is way to short to ride a bike you don't love.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea. I know about the weird sizings for the old French bikes. This one has a Sugino crank. Seems to be OK. I can use the seatpost (I think) and the stem as well. It should be OK. I may have to have the cranks tapped out (did this with my other Gitane) but that was a cheap fix. Headset is OK, too.

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
They surprise you sometimes. My old POS Peugeot had English BB threading, so I was able to put in a cartridge shimano. The seatpost was an odd size that I never found anywhere else, so I was stuck with an indexed seat clamp, but that wasn't a huge deal. The headtube could fit a standard 1" threaded HS, but the fork was a different size than everybody uses now. When I needed to switch handlebars a few times, I was able to spend time in the back room of an LBS, and found a stem to fit my latest bars. Never threw away a stem that I used. I think I had three different size clamps along the way.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a bunch of stems as well, including the original one that looks pretty good, actually. I'm not extremely anal about all of my bikes having exactly the same fit, so if it's off by a hair I'll still sleep at night :) Now I'm getting stoked to build her up. Look for my Bianchi on e-bay ;) That will give me an entire fleet of French bikes. "Why" you ask? I don't have an f-ing clue!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts