Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I own a beautiful Merlin Road titanium road bike. A weird thing is, when I put my water bottle in the down tube mounted water bottle cage, the bottle slants to the left side of the frame. Is this normal? Are your water bottles perfectly centered in the cage?

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,357 Posts
Partbug said:
That is weird my slants to the right.
is that c0DE?

"wink wink nudge nudge...say no more, say no more"

&etc. & like that

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,357 Posts
Road cyclist said:
Can you post a picture???? Maybe you can re-shape your cage if its made
of metal.
yep-SOP for alloy cages-if CF, try finding the matching bottle if it exists.

Otherwise-try shimming the inside of the cage. IAEF, so long as it holds the bottle adequately don't worry about it.

· Does it matter?
760 Posts
if the bottle cage is metal, you can tweak it to have the bottle in place. I have some cages made of stainless steel, and the base plate is really thin, it can be bent. I've had aluminum cages that could also be tweaked into place. never had Ti cages, but I assume you can do the same. If yours is plastic or carbon fiber, well I don't think you can bend those without breaking them. Let us know how it goes with the fix

· Weed
1,041 Posts
the sky above said:
Hi. I own a beautiful Merlin Road titanium road bike. A weird thing is, when I put my water bottle in the down tube mounted water bottle cage, the bottle slants to the left side of the frame. Is this normal? Are your water bottles perfectly centered in the cage?
I had a similar problem...this style bottle cage took care of it:

https://gallery.rei.com/media/183195.jpg

· Registered
91 Posts
It always slants to the left, this is why will put our wallets in the back right pocket, so that we can walk straight. :D

Aside from that, just bend the cage, you shouldn't break it, but please be careful if you do this while attached to the frame.

· Colorado Springs, CO
631 Posts
Drill the top or bottom hole of the cage a little larger, then you can slide the top over to the right or the bottom over to the left. Get a small star lock nut washer at a local hardware store to keep the bottle cage positioned in it's new location (or it'll slip back into the orginal position or flop back and forth).

If the screw on your bottle cage is recessed (counter sunk, whatever), put the lock washer between the bottle cage and the frame mount hole. Get a lock washer smal enough so that the tines of the lockwasher are digging in the mount thread piece instead of your frame. Or, get a tradiitonal lockwasher that squishes down (probably won't hold as good, but worth a try).

Another way is that blue thread locking compound in the threads. I don't think that this is a recommended solution since even the temporary thread lock stuff makes the connection almost permanent.

Good luck

· Registered
5,844 Posts
Just bend in the tabs on the sides of your bottle cage. (Not recommended for carbon cages!) If your bottle leans to the left, push the tab in toward the frame on the left side. It happens periodically to all wire cages, presumably because you reach for your bottle from one side or the other.

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
I can't believe you did this to me...

all I can say is I hope I don't get hurt watching my bottle and age next time I get out...mine looks straight or it DID!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.