Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I rode today in 98 degree heat. No problem. Until I crested a heartbreaking hill and my eyes became soaked all at once with acrid, burning, sweat. I felt like I had been maced.

I had to squint my eyes, and completely close one eye for the rest of the ride. I lost my depth perception. On a quick road bike, where perceptions, alertness, and concentration are essential for safety, all I could do was grimace in pain, blind with sweat, and hope I didn't crash.

There has to be an easy solution to this common problem. What is it?

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
the sky above said:
Hi. I rode today in 98 degree heat. No problem. Until I crested a heartbreaking hill and my eyes became soaked all at once with acrid, burning, sweat. I felt like I had been maced.

I had to squint my eyes, and completely close one eye for the rest of the ride. I lost my depth perception. On a quick road bike, where perceptions, alertness, and concentration are essential for safety, all I could do was grimace in pain, blind with sweat, and hope I didn't crash.

There has to be an easy solution to this common problem. What is it?
I used to have the same problem until I started wearing a headband under my helmet. I started with the cheap kind marked with Columbus, Campy, Cinelli, etc. They worked all right and then I bought higher quality bands and have been happier with them. I used the Halo band for a while and it was OK. Now I use an Assos summer-weight band and never have problems with sweat making its way to my eyes, even on the hottest days.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Couple of possibilities...

Rarely bothers me, for some reason, but I hear people complaining about it all the time. Sunscreen on the forehead can make it worse, as it washes off and gets into your eyes. Also, a headband around your forehead, or a scarf over your hair can help. Fold it into a triangle and tie the ends behind your head, then either tuck the top flap into the knot or just smooth it over your head and put on your helmet.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Halo no longer cutting it

I have used the Halo headband the last couple of seasons and thought it worked well. However, this spring, in deference to my balding head, I cut my hair to one of those super-short bald-guy styles. Now the sweat just runs unimpeded off my head and overwhelms the sweatband causing it to run in my eyes. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Rinse

Aside from all the advice about wearing a sweat band under your helmet, there's nothing wrong with using your water bottle to rinse off your face and forehead. Also, you can tilt your head down and press the front of the helmet against your forehead on each side to squeeze out the sweat and let it drip, rather than running into your eyes.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Aside from all the advice about wearing a sweat band under your helmet, there's nothing wrong with using your water bottle to rinse off your face and forehead. Also, you can tilt your head down and press the front of the helmet against your forehead on each side to squeeze out the sweat and let it drip, rather than running into your eyes.
First, never wear sunscreen above the eyes.

Next you need something to make the sweat run to the side and down the side of your face. No sweat band will stop it; you have to divert it. I use a rather narrow band just above the eye brows. It goes around low in back with the sides just above the ears. That way when it gets saturated the sweat will collect along the top and run back towards the ears. Just be carefull that you don't move in such a way as to squeeze the front of it with your helmet. Bell helmets are longer front to back that Giro (don't know about others).

TF

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,208 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
First, never wear sunscreen above the eyes.

Next you need something to make the sweat run to the side and down the side of your face. No sweat band will stop it; you have to divert it.
I sweat like a pig. No band cuts it. Best solution I've found is a good cycling cap, backwards, under the helmet. The brim wicks the sweat away and down my back. It also is good for preventing sunburn and bee stings on the scalp.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I'm bald, so I can identify with your problem. Rather than wear a sweat band, I wear one of those "head sweats" skull cap thingies under my helmet. Helps in 2 ways. 1. catches sweat so it doesn't run down into my eyes. 2. Even if I didn't sweat, I've found that I get "striped" with sunburn through the vents in my helmet. As if being bald wasn't bad enough!!:rolleyes:

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Didn't some guy talk about filling their helmet with tampons?
The solution..........ride faster......let the created wind evaporate the sweat.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've also heard of some folks putting Chapstick on their foreheads just about the eyebrow as a way to divert sweat. Sounds like a gooey mess than probably won't get the job done, but if sweat's a problem, what could it hurt to try.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,187 Posts
I sweat like a PIG too. I use headsweats. Works pretty good, not perfect, probably the best thing out there though. No matter what though, I still have to push my helmet against my head every mile or so to keep it from running into my eyes when it gets really hot.

SO, not to hi-jack the thread but, why don't I ever see the pros using something like Headsweats, Halo, etc???? Check it out next time you watch a really hot road race.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.