Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,420 Posts
1) Hey, isn't that Joe's Colnago????

2) Hard to sell without wheels.....

Did it "fall off the back of a truck"?

Oh, BTW, you NEVER, EVER clamp the top tube!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think this is Any Joe's
It didnt fall off Any truck, What makes you think this??

A frame is actually without wheels, I have wheels btw, But I would like to know the estimated value of the frame...regardless the wheels or the groupset

This stand clamps the top tube, it is not tight and definately not damaging anything

Btw you seem to be a troll, Why you answer a post if you have nothing to say?

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
It has been repainted so it is hard to say what model it is.

With all that dirt and grime it's likely all the bearings are ruined as well. Are the tubes rusting inside? Is the headset worn out? It looks in very bad condition.

Maybe $500 to $1000? Not a collector's item anymore with the odd paint.

Definitely would have to examine it more closely in person. So much depends on things we cannot see in the pictures.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It looks like there is a lot of rust in the seat tube. It is a neat bike but it is far from mint condition. The seller should at least try to clean it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,420 Posts
I dont think this is Any Joe's
It didnt fall off Any truck, What makes you think this??

A frame is actually without wheels, I have wheels btw, But I would like to know the estimated value of the frame...regardless the wheels or the groupset

This stand clamps the top tube, it is not tight and definately not damaging anything

Btw you seem to be a troll, Why you answer a post if you have nothing to say?
OK, first of all, you come here for your FIRST time, and accuse me of being a troll?

Secondly, a 'new poster' with a high-end bike that he knows absolutely nothing about (or high-end frames either, seeing as how you clamped on the top tube), with wheels removed smells like a STOLEN BIKE. I'll bet the wheels are distinctive, hence why they were removed.

Anybody out there have a purple, repainted Colnago stolen recently???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
OK, first of all, you come here for your FIRST time, and accuse me of being a troll?

Secondly, a 'new poster' with a high-end bike that he knows absolutely nothing about (or high-end frames either, seeing as how you clamped on the top tube), with wheels removed smells like a STOLEN BIKE. I'll bet the wheels are distinctive, hence why they were removed.

FIRST! You accuse me of being a thief??? Are you mad or what?
SECOND! The wheels are there actually , behind the rack
THIRD! I asked question, didnt ask for any offensive...I wouldnt even care, but at least you'd be helpful dude....actually you're not. not at all

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
It has been repainted so it is hard to say what model it is.

With all that dirt and grime it's likely all the bearings are ruined as well. Are the tubes rusting inside? Is the headset worn out? It looks in very bad condition.

Maybe $500 to $1000? Not a collector's item anymore with the odd paint.

Definitely would have to examine it more closely in person. So much depends on things we cannot see in the pictures.
How can you tell its repainted? I rode with a guy out in ETX with that exact model bike. The paint looks Colnago approved if not done by Colnago.

Lugs and rust indicate its steel. The carbon version had more rounded off lugs. Steep head tube denotes fast handling crit bike popular in the US. Looks like 90s vintage.

You could get $500 for the whole bike if you're lucky. But clean it up. By itself, I wouldn't pay more than $100. It needs major rebuilding from bare frame with all that rust. Heck, before you sell it, fix it up and ride it some, if you haven't already ridden Colnagos. It'll be a real treat.

My friend's bike that looked like that was named "Conic." It had the straight bladed chromed fork, unusual at the time.

Also, you can get away with clamping CRMO top tubes in a bike stand. Just don't overdo it and don't crush the brake cable guides. CRMO is incredibly stiff. Carbon or aluminum isn't strong enough at that point to hold against side impacts. :nono:

·
Registered
27,471 Posts

I'd like to know who would steal a bike in that condition? Looks like someone didn't ride it for a few years and then threw it in the dumpster.

A guy posted here a few years ago he'd had just retrieved a DeRosa frame and fork out of the dumpster. The owner had no idea what he had, so threw it away! That 'Nago looks like it suffered the same fate.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
How can you tell its repainted?
It's a mid 1990's Superissimo.

Original finish would have a proper tubing decal and model name.
Paint is not right for a factory finish.
What's that Home Depot style bolt holding under BB cable guide?
Lots of Euro paint shops, especially in Belgium do similar resprays.

Head tube angle is almost TOO steep. Check for bulges around the top end of the down tube. It may have been crashed.

Sad that anyone would let it get to this state.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
I'd like to know who would steal a bike in that condition? Looks like someone didn't ride it for a few years and then threw it in the dumpster.
A kid in Russia found an abandoned stash of dilapidated team frames from the Soviet era a few years ago. He posted pictures on instagram.

He had at least three minty Cinelli Laser Pistas in blue, a couple of white ones in MS that were in need of paint but very very nice..
Also a few really ratty De Rosas and Rossins, and a few nice ones.

It was astounding. They had been forgotten in a rundown warehouse.

I know a guy who got one of the white MS Lasers and hung it on his rec room wall. My God what a piece of art.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Is there a lifetime frame policy from the manufacturer? That stuff needs warrantied ASAP.
If not, I'd steer clear.

Would you seriously ride something that's going to crumble underneath you?

And judging the teeth on that chain ring - it's a few hundred thousand miles past service life.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Is there a lifetime frame policy from the manufacturer? That stuff needs warrantied ASAP.
If not, I'd steer clear.
i've seen and resurrected far worse. the bike just looks really grimy. yes, there might be some rust in the seat tube, but it can usually be remedied.

Would you seriously ride something that's going to crumble underneath you?
never had a steel bike "crumble beneath me." even those that have been stored outdoors or left unridden for a decade.

And judging the teeth on that chain ring - it's a few hundred thousand miles past service life.
again, don't know what you're seeing.

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
Pull the fork, crankset and bottom bracket off, then clean and inspect it for any damage or rust that is more than just surface rust to get a good idea of the soundness of the frame.

My main concern would be that white, what looks like a large chip, mark behind the head\tope tube lug. Can't tell from the poor quality pic, but as someone has already mentioned it could point to front end damage. If it is damage, and the tube isn't cracked, a competent frame builder should be able to true up the frame, if needed.

If there is front end damage, repaired or not, the worth of the frame will be affected. One of my De Rosa's was damaged in an accident, and I had the frame straightened by a local builder, and while the resale may have been affected, it rides and tracks as good as new. That suits me fine, as I have no intention of selling it, having owned it over 30yrs now. It's just a scar with a story behind it.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Google images is a quick way to scan for that paint job. I've scanned hundreds of '90's Colnagos and couldn't see anything even vaguely resembling that. Something about the overall look just does not look original.

That plus the missing tubing sticker.

So I'm leaning to the "probable repaint" team.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts