Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reclaimed an absolutely beautiful English lugged steel Roberts frame from the local dumpster. I have had it converted to a single speed, adding Mavic Ellipse wheels and it is a beautiful ride. It came with Mafac brakes which are nice but really don't have terrific stopping power so I am looking for new brakes. The Mavic wheels are 700c and the previous wheels are 27 1/4. I ordered some Pauls and although they look terrific, they mount too close and hit the rubber. I then ordered some Tektro long reach and they cannot be mounted because the brake posts are in the way of the long reach arms (this style of brake didn't look right anyway). Currently I have put the Mafacs back on, but living in a very hilly area, it is a bit disconcerting not having great confidence in my stopping power.
As you can probably tell by this note, I am not a bike mechanic (far from it), but I sure would appreciate any suggestions you may have on brakes that have greater adjustability to fit onto the 700c wheels. From reading various posts on this forum, it appears there are some very knowledgeable singlespeeders/bike tech types out there. Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Have you tried other brake pads? Koolstop Salmons maybe? I used the Koolstop Continental pad in salmon (smaller size to fit) on an older bike with horrible brakes and they improved the braking pretty well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually have new salmon kool stops on there right now. To my eye/feel it seems that it is not the rubber as much as it is the ability of the brake arms to squeeze firmly on the rim. At the moment, if I tried to lock up the brakes, I would not be able to. I guess it never occurred to me that it could be the brake pads (duh), but I specifically chose the kool stops because of their reputation. It is a bit alarming to try and brake quickly and only have the bike slowly come to a halt. At the end of the day, there may be no solution, but I thought I should at least ask around on this forum. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Its not the pads, its probably your wheels

Mavic Ellipse track wheels dont have a machined brake surface because they were not designed to be used with brakes. You are using brakes on an anodized surface which is probably not the best kind of friction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.