Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Please help with frame size! 60cm or 62cm?

29K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Mr. Versatile 
#1 · (Edited)
I need help deciding between a 60cm or 62cm frame size. I have test ridden both sizes and the 60cm seems more comfortable to me. However, I only rode each size for 20 minutes sprinting through and around parking lots. It felt great and I was immediately drawn to the 60cm. My concern is how it will feel on a long 40 plus mile ride. I'm 6'3", 170lbs, and flexible.
Plus, I don't want to waste money ordering the wrong size bike. :eek:
My LBS said that they rarely sell 60cm to people my size so I am questioning my instincts. Although, my salesman/bikeshop guru, after observing me on both bikes (while riding) and properly sizing me said he'd feel comfortable with selling me a 60cm.

Here is the geometry chart for the Trek Madone I'm looking to purchase:
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/madone/madone45/

I would appreciate any input or advice! Thanks!

H

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Reynolds531 said:
My experience is that a bike slightly on the small side feels better than a slightly bigger bike in the parking lot--they're a little quicker and a little stiffer and your center of gravity is a little lower, but a slightly bigger bike feels better after 3 or 4 hours in the saddle--its a little smoother and a little bit more upright.
This my fear...I agree...I feel more in control with the 60cm but think the 62cm would be more comfortable for longer rides. But, I could tweak the 60cm to ride like a 62cm? Or would it better to have the 62cm?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.