Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm having a problem with my Ultegra shift lever, the small lever that upshifts the rear derailleur. It sticks when I shift it and does not return to the original position. The lever remains sticking toward the stem. This happens particularly when I am on the larger rear cogs. Can anyone diagnose this?

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Standard fixes

the sky above said:
Hi. I'm having a problem with my Ultegra shift lever, the small lever that upshifts the rear derailleur. It sticks when I shift it and does not return to the original position. The lever remains sticking toward the stem. This happens particularly when I am on the larger rear cogs. Can anyone diagnose this?
The first thing to do is flush it out with something like WD-40 or TriFlow (aerosol) while shifting through the gears. That will fix it if it is gunked up. Second possibility is that you have a frayed cable that is causing things to hang up. Double check that your brake lever hood is not interfering with lever movement. If the flush doesn't work, the hood is not in the way, and your cables are good, then it's time to buy a new lever. Essentially no user serviceable parts inside.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
If the flush doesn't work, the hood is not in the way, and your cables are good, then it's time to buy a new lever. Essentially no user serviceable parts inside.
Which is why you should buy Campy when you replace them. User serviceable parts inside:D

·
Charismatic Megafauna
547 Posts
Check the Mystery Screw!!

the sky above said:
This happened to me a few times. There's a little screw at the end of the small lever...you have to look hard to see it. Phillips head (or could be hex now.) I call it the Mystery Screw because when I needed to replace it the wrenches would be like, "What screw??"

A couple times the shop had to cannibalize an older Ultegra shifter to procure a replacement. My recommendation is to check the MS, replace as necessary and add blue LocTite because they have a tendency to shake loose.

The problem stopped for good when I replaced my shifters. ;-)

Edit: Typos.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.