Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive never bought wheels before im currently riding my stock bontys which are just alloy standard rims. i cant find much info on them. im getting more serious with riding and looking to race next season. if it helps in thin 130 lbs. can anyone help me decide on the better wheelsets?

im interested in easton ea90 or fulcrum racing 1

i dont know much about wheels im looking for the best bang for the buck. a wheel that shines on everything, i really enjoy hills so a wheel that shines on a tough climb would be great for me as well and aerodynamics of course

thanks for the help

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
if you enjoy going fast on hills, aim for as light as possible. at 130lbs dont worry about spoke count or light weight. it'll be fine.

whats your budget? $600-700? Check out the Shimano Dura Ace wheelset. I believe they have the SL and the CL. Cl is a bit more expensive. both are excellent wheels with great hubs. But dont ride them in heavy rain.

In my budget of $500-600, i went for the Sram S30 sprint. I weigh 150, a little more than u but my roads are 10x worse. NYC. my S30 wheelset is a bit heavier, with a 18/20 spokes, and a deeper (stronger) rim. 1550g on my home scale.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Guys who are light have the most to gain from light equipment, plus it isn't stupid to ride light stuff. But don't ignore aero either.

If you are looking at $1000 wheels, then what is the rest of your bike like?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
curently i have a stock trek 1.2 2010 model. i didnt have the funds to buy the best stuff right away and i dont mind buying as i go, a new frame will be next year.

now the easton ea 90 sl's have a great deal of shitty reviews but good ones as well, i havent heard anything bad about the fulcrums, but then again i know nothing when it comes to wheels.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
lol with a $1000 budget for wheels, sell your bike and get a new bike. trek 1.2? cmon... who rides that?

nobody really rides fulcrums thats why u dont hear much about them.
you sure u want wheels = in price to your bike??? lol

how about something like this: http://www.zencyclery.com/products/custom-wheelsets/siddhartha/
** i know nothing about the website nor the builder/owner of the company, but the specs look decent.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
skyliner1004

in my experience its not always about the bike, to some extent it is but its the rider that pushes the bike. my 1000 dollar bike has beaten people on higher end bikes.

i also explained that once i get a new frame everything will be transferred over which is why i dont mind putting out the money as i go. i also dont want something that everyone has, all i see in my city are specialized and cannondales

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
clipz said:
skyliner1004

in my experience its not always about the bike, to some extent it is but its the rider that pushes the bike. my 1000 dollar bike has beaten people on higher end bikes.

i also explained that once i get a new frame everything will be transferred over which is why i dont mind putting out the money as i go. i also dont want something that everyone has, all i see in my city are specialized and cannondales
if its not the "bike" then why are you upgrading to $1000 wheels which are part of the "bike"?
my 2400 bike has beaten people on higher end, and lower end bikes. but what does that have to do with getting new wheels?

You're also getting a new frame and transferring over all your low end shimano drivetrain components??? You really out to think about getting a new bike. How much u going to throw down for a new frame? $400 chinese carbon? $1000 aluminum/carbon? $2000 carbon? In the end you'll still have tiagra and sora which are basic, entry level components. work on those buying decisions...

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
if its not the "bike" then why are you upgrading to $1000 wheels which are part of the "bike"?
my 2400 bike has beaten people on higher end, and lower end bikes. but what does that have to do with getting new wheels?

You're also getting a new frame and transferring over all your low end shimano drivetrain components??? You really out to think about getting a new bike. How much u going to throw down for a new frame? $400 chinese carbon? $1000 aluminum/carbon? $2000 carbon? In the end you'll still have tiagra and sora which are basic, entry level components. work on those buying decisions...
I'm going agree here on just holding that $1k until next yr and getting a decent new bike. The price benefit of the parts/frame on a full bike are much higher. Mfg kill you on buying a frame alone, if they even do it at all.

The same goes for components. Unless you are wanting real high things like Chris King hubs, which I have never seen on as original equip, you will save money buying it on the full bike.

In the end, it's your money and your choice. So, if you after a wheel set now, look at ROL, Soul, Williamscycling, BWW, HED. They all have things in your range. BWW has a nice 27mm areo rim with Sapim CX-ray spokes and DT swiss hubs for $1000. Or Williamscycling has 38 mm carbon clinchers for $999. Soul (bikesoul.com) has their C4.0 carbon clinchers for $1000 too.

You could even go custom at your LBS (if you know a good builder at one).

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Neuvation, American Classic, Williams all have good reputation light wheelsets at under $1k pricepoints.

Consider getting 38mm depth carbon tubies; in my experience they are some light, fast wheels.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't think it's unreasonable to want to put good wheels on an inexpensive bike if you are thinking of upgrading your bike (the whole bike, not just the frame) in the future. Here's an example: let's say you are buying a 2011 Cannondale Supersix 3 Ultegra. That's a nice bike, costs $3199, but it comes with Aksium wheels, which are not bad but pretty low end ($200 on sale). So yes, you could get higher quality wheels now and put them on your next bike no problem. I think the BWW wheels are great, have them on my mtb.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Best bang for buck would be custom. Based on your weight and intended use, something like 28H Kinlin XR-200 w/Sapim Laser on budget lightweight hubs of your choice would get you to around 1,350 grams for around $300 in parts. Plus labor for the wheelbuild.

Higher spoke count would ensure that you are never left stranded if a spoke breaks, plus no non-proprietary parts (except for possibly the rear freehub).

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so maybe ill look into custom wheels and such. does anyone know a good site to learn about wheels,terminology etc.

·
Registered
385 Posts
clipz said:
ive never bought wheels before im currently riding my stock bontys which are just alloy standard rims. i cant find much info on them. im getting more serious with riding and looking to race next season. if it helps in thin 130 lbs. can anyone help me decide on the better wheelsets?

im interested in easton ea90 or fulcrum racing 1

i dont know much about wheels im looking for the best bang for the buck. a wheel that shines on everything, i really enjoy hills so a wheel that shines on a tough climb would be great for me as well and aerodynamics of course

thanks for the help

Since your 1.2 has Bonty's 'Race' wheelset, consider upgrading to the Bontrager Race X Lite models. They are much better than the ones you have -- lighter, faster, stiffer. They also have the benefit of Trek's 5 year warranty. Pricing for the wheelset would be in the $1000 range.

:thumbsup:

http://bontrager.com/model/08254

·
Registered
679 Posts
clipz said:
so maybe ill look into custom wheels and such. does anyone know a good site to learn about wheels,terminology etc.
This forum is a great place to ask questions.

Keep in mind that the build that I suggested isn't an aero wheel. You could go with bladed spokes (Wheelsmith AE15 or pricier DT Aerolite or Sapim CX-Ray) and a taller profile rim for a more aero wheel, though the rim would typically be heavier.

Edited to add: The guys who do this for a living can give you better advice. My point is that you can get a light, durable, non-proprietary custom wheelset for well under $500.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts