Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday i was riding along a trail and the idiot in front of me stopped without looking to see if anyone was coming behind him. Before you know it i was sliding into his downtube front wheel first at about 8 - 6 mph. I noticed that my brand new pair of FSA carbon bars were bent. I then pulled my hoods back into place. (i hope) :confused: When i went to pull my hoods back i heard a crackling sound. I then checked out my front wheel and noticed that my front brake calipers were rubbing against the wheel. I adjusted that and rode on home. My question is do you think i'am out of the woods here ? or do you think i may have problems with either my bars or end up with a warped wheel ? :confused:

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Your carbon bars were bent? Yikes, you may get some more answers here but I guessing the carbon is shot. If not visible on the outside then possibly going on the inside of the tube. I'd replace it.

Also, I'd ignore the blast of comments you're going to probably receive about riding into someone. I'm sure they're coming!

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Oh yeah, you may need to get the wheel trued, but if it isn't vibrating, rubbing, wobbling, or anything else I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sounds like the brakes got smacked was all.

· Registered
2,746 Posts
I am assuming and we all know where that can lead..... that the OP meant that his bars pivoted in the stem downwards. That is why he pulled his hoods back.

IMHO, anyone with enough coin in a bike to have carbon bars should take it to the LBS for a checkup...

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Take it to your LBS

Have them check it all out, especially your carbon bars. To be honest with you I did'nt know carbon fibre could bend (no pun...i did'nt know) As far as the wheel, check it yourself for trueness, warpage, etc. Maybe all it needs is spoke wrench.

What was you doing, drafting the guy?

· Banned
657 Posts
Carbon, AL, Titanium, or steel: if they bend they are trash. Yeah carbon is expensive but think about being med-evacuated to a trauma center w/ a broken handlebar stuck through your face into your brain. Yeah, they will keep it in place till you go to surgery. Nice trophy if you survive. Buy a new bar.
I'm a Trek girl myself & have a couple Answer carbon bars for sale if you are interested.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
croswell1 said:
Have them check it all out, especially your carbon bars. To be honest with you I did'nt know carbon fibre could bend (no pun...i did'nt know) As far as the wheel, check it yourself for trueness, warpage, etc. Maybe all it needs is spoke wrench.

What was you doing, drafting the guy?
Good News !!!! I took my bike to my LBS and had the owner check it out. He unwrapped my bars around the hood and advised that the edge of the bars was rubbing on the hoods. All that had happened was that the hoods slipped off the bars at edge and caused the friction to sound like it was a "crunch sound". My bars are fine. No cracks anywhere. He also trued both tires and checked out my gears at no charge at all !!! I was so happy that i purchased a chain cleaner and brush in order to scrub and wash my bike. Thanks for everyones help !!! :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.