Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I am not the only one to ever feel this way so, please post your experience with your first group ride.

I have decided that I'm going to go try my first group ride with the cycling club I just joined. They rid 3 nights a week and have A, B and nodrop groups. For some reason I am nervous as heck about it. It's not that I am worried that I'll get left behind, I just don't want to be seen as the kill-joy that someone else had to drop back and babysit thus ruining their ride.

Am I being overly paranoid here? They seem like great people and they all assure m that this won't be a problem. Let me hear your unbiased opinions and experiences with your first group ride.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Don't worry..
IF they have a "no-drop" group in addition to an A & B group, they expect a few people to be slower and typically you'll find that one of the senior riders specifically likes to be the "Sag" rider... I have a buddy who's a little on the heavy side, but he can finish each and every ride so he likes being the last in the group or on the trail (road or mt), plus he likes being the guy who rides the "clean up" position. Likes to carry extra tools and lend a hand to the others in the pack who might get a flat or whatever. It's actually GREAT to have him along cause the rest of us know that if we end up with a mechanical, Hardy will be along...

Don't kill yourself to stay up with the fast group, Just get to know the folks in the group.
Above all, ride safe & predictable. Nothing worse than being the Noob that gets yelled at every 3 minutes cause you can't hold a line, or you let gaps open in the paceline... And unless you really are a super fast dude, you won't be in the way of the A group by the time you're 10 minutes into the ride. Our A group rides at about 17 mph for about 5 minutes then drops the B group, the B group pushes on at about 19 to 21 mph, and they are a little more relaxed about blowing noobs a bunch of crap, and then as folks drop off the B group, they just kind of casually form the "No Drop" group and pedal in at an easy to moderate pace.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Honestly... go there like you belong. Don't go in there thinking its going to be super technical. Its a group ride. Thats it. Get on your bike, pedal. Follow traffic rules, and try your best to be predictable if there are riders behind you. Try to be calm. There will undoubtedly be ebbs and flows in pace. Don't get all sketchy and brake or swerve erratically. Keep call, and keep your corrections tight. Hang out toward the back so that if you do freak out, you dont crash the whole group.

Biggest thing you can do is relax, stay alert... and most of all have fun. Stay below your limit. One of the biggest mistakes newbies make is get into a group and go at a pace above their skill level. This is a recipie for disaster because there is no WORSE pack rider than a newbie at his limit. So... restraint.... grasshopper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did my first ride a few weeks ago, I ride a Tricross... had wheels with 32s on and got smoked. I also have a MTB. My Tricross is fast compared to the MTB, but in a group ride...well forget it. This was a small group, some of the older riders didn't show, I am an older rider..that didn't help. The bottom line is this I learned something... I have a lot to learn, I need to work a little, but I liked the experience...while older... I have changed my wheels and tires and am working on my base.... I'LL BE BACK.

·
On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
Absolutely go! If you're comfortable on your bike that you can drink from the bottle with no worries then you'll be fine. Ride your first night with the no drop group and see what that's all about.

My first group ride I was nervous, then realized that I was one of the stronger riders in the group and did most of the ride at the front. Follow everyone else's advice and you'll be in great shape!!

Tim

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm going to ride with the group this week. I a pretty good climber on the Mountainbike but have a feeling I'm going to get smoked by the slow-twitch muscle crowd.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
You'll be fine. My 1st group ride ever was a Century. I had ridden in the neighborhood quite a bit, but had no idea what I was getting into. I kept my mouth shut & watched what everybody else did, and tried not to be a danger or to get in anybody's way. It was tough for me to keep up but fortunately a couple of experienced "older guys" took me under their wings and coached me along. That was a very long time ago. I'm now one of the "older guys" and I'm always glad to help newcomers. You'll find some help on your ride too. Just be friendly, and don't forget to ask for help or aadmit that this is your first group ride.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mr. Versatile said:
You'll be fine. My 1st group ride ever was a Century. I had ridden in the neighborhood quite a bit, but had no idea what I was getting into. I kept my mouth shut & watched what everybody else did, and tried not to be a danger or to get in anybody's way. It was tough for me to keep up but fortunately a couple of experienced "older guys" took me under their wings and coached me along. That was a very long time ago. I'm now one of the "older guys" and I'm always glad to help newcomers. You'll find some help on your ride too. Just be friendly, and don't forget to ask for help or aadmit that this is your first group ride.
Wow, now that was a lofty goal for a first group ride.

I'm going to go down to Atlanta Motor Speedway today and see how hard 10... 15.......20 laps are around the Bus Lane. That's a 2.5 mile lap and a good mixture of hills and flats.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I went on my first group ride last night. It was awesome. We left out at 6:00pm and did a 30 mile loop. I stayed with the B group and even took a few turns pulling. It's amazing how much further you can ride with a group. I actually didn't want it to be over when we got back. I'm pretty stoked about it and will be doing at least 1 per week and will try to do 2 if time allows.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.