Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purcahsed my first trainer, and i own a trek 5200 that i really love to ride.

Will riding the 5200 in the trainer affect the frame in any fashion ?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Some folks believe that the stress placed on the bike from being bolted into a fixed object will "harm" it... That is, when you lean left or right all the tension builds up around the rear triangle. Some believe that a carbon frame will somehow become weakened by this... Really-these frames are most definetly strong enough to handle the stress-just try and stay upright on the bike and limit its' sway...your tire will recieve more wear than anything else...

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
I might not want to do it with a bolted on carbon rear stay, but other then that you should be ok. Note- it will eat the heck out of your rear tire (get a cheapo training tire or wheel) and can mar your quick release.

The best solution is a cross bike/trainer bike/commuting bike/back up parts mule/bad weather bike. I use my Redline Cross bike for this.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
No problems here

cjwill said:
I just purcahsed my first trainer, and i own a trek 5200 that i really love to ride.

Will riding the 5200 in the trainer affect the frame in any fashion ?
I have been riding my 5200, which I bought in November 2000, on the trainer for the past four winters with no apparent ill effect. You will want to get a rear skewer that will fit into the trainer better than the skewer that comes with the bike. If you are going to ride a lot on the trainer, you may want to get a cheap tire and/or cheap wheel for riding indoors -- the trainer is rough on tires. Enjoy (or at least enjoy as much as you can riding indoors)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts