Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a pair of prescription sunglasses ( -300 ).
But according to Oakley, the new prescription lens cost $300. I have the Oakley Split Jacket.

How many of you wearing prescription sunglasses for riding ? Where did you have them done ? And how much did you spend on them ? Thanks !!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I wear Bolle Renos'. They are ugly but serve my needs and are about the best I could find that would accept my prescription. Cost about 400.00 without ins. I did a buy-up this year and paid like 60 out of pocket.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I just take my previous set of glasses and have the lenses tinted ... this works well and runs about $20.00 to do.

I might not have as much total coverage as with your normal sports oriented sunglasses, but they are much cheaper and work well enough.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got some Nike Brazen frames and had prescription lenses put in. I had transition lenses so I can wear them in the dark for early morning winter rides and keep the same glasses on once the sun comes up. The transition technology is light years ahead of where it was 10 years ago. The lenses are perfectly clear in the dark and get sufficiently dark when sunny.

I looked at Oakley frames, but they have very curved lenses, which are much more expensive to have made as prescription lenses.

My insurance (VSP) covered most of the cost, but they would have been about $200 to $250 with no insurance.

A few guys in my cycling group have since bought prescription glasses with transition frames too and all are very happy as well. I think it's a no-brainer for anyone who does a good amount of riding.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Check out Sport RX, I highly recommend them. I've had 2 pairs of sunglasses from there. First was a Rudy Project Horus which is 225 with 1 pair of lenses at current pricing. I still wear them from time to time because my prescription has hardly changed. I also have some Oakley frames which I bought from a different retailer at a lower price. I went back to Sport RX for the second pair of lenses because the other retailer didn't get the prescription quite right (fishbowl kind of effect).

·
irony intended
772 Posts
Currently wearing Numa Shark with progressive prescription. Previously, some Rudy Projects, 2 or 3 different kinds. Some kind of red tint works best for cycling. Don't need to be polarized if you want to save a little. Sports Optical located in Denver does great work and can put prescriptions in frames that others can't. Check their website. The price is fair, but you'll have to file your own insurance.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
I need to get a pair of prescription sunglasses ( -300 ).
But according to Oakley, the new prescription lens cost $300. I have the Oakley Split Jacket.

How many of you wearing prescription sunglasses for riding ? Where did you have them done ? And how much did you spend on them ? Thanks !!
Right now, I wear my prescription sunglasses (which are normal eyeglasses) for riding, which I got from the optimitrist. I also have transitions lens on them.

I do want to get an actual pair of prescription cycling glasses this year... using my insurance to minimize the blow to my wallet.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
bought a pair of Rudy Project Rydon II (for narrow faces) on ebay for $100.

took them to my regular eye doc who sells RP who sent them to someplace in AZ to grind the Rx lenses (+2.50, no-line bifocal).

total bill (including the exam) was $645.

worth every penny to me.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
View attachment 277881
Ray-Ban New Wayfarer. LensCrafters. Hundred bucks or so for the frame, more for my complicated prescription (progressive multi-focal). Insurance pays part, and I use a health care spending account (pre-tax $) for the rest. Not "cycling glasses" per se, but they work fine for me.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I've had a pair of Kaenon Rhino's that I've used for a few years for offshore fishing so when I went to look for something for my bike I leaned towards Kaenon since they are good at making a distortion free Rx lens with fairly high curvature.

I got the Kaenon Kore. Bad decision. The lenses were something like $200 EACH plush the cost of the original frames/lenses (and I don't have insurance so I paid out of pocket). They sit too close to my face, don't ventilate well and consequently they frequently get sweat drips down the inside of the lenses. I'll definitely be looking elsewhere in the future.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
I've been using Bolle Parole glasses with a separate prescription insert for many years now. This allows me to maintain a wraparound style frame, change lenses for lighting conditions, and the prescription can be updated on the insert separately. As with any dual-lens systems they are more of a pain to clean and peripheral vision is somewhat reduced. You can usually find the sunglasses on ebay for about $60, the insert for $25 and then having the lens made depends on your prescription. I just go to my regular optometrist for that. With my bad astigmatism, this option works fairly well

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just received these in the mail yesterday. Unbelievable value at $17 including shipping! 5 interchangeable lens plus a "myopia frame" that you can get filled with Rx lens and it snaps in behind the tinted lens. The quality is very good and the price is just stupidly cheap. I also picked up some Carbon Fiber bottle cages for $11 and assorted bike accessories from this company, very quick shipping and good packing. No affiliation, just a very happy customer.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261174222048...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_5376wt_1324

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.