Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an old backyard bikey and I've done some dumb things but I think I just wrecked my rear hub bearings. I've got a set of Mavic Cosmic Elite wheels. Being a busy dad and training quite a bit for the Pan-Mass Challenge in a few weeks, I noticed that my drivetrain was pretty grungy. I've been using citrus cleaners and stuff for a while and cleaning the whole drivetrain in place. Today I went and got some new stuff and cleaned everything and it looked fantastic! Put some Pedro's on the chain and pivots and took her out for a victory lap and soon realized that it was not a flock of birds following me but my hub chirping!!!
The bearings seem to be done. There is resistance where there was none and I am freaking out. Can these bearings be replaced, regreased, resurrected? I started out in the days of cones and grease. I thought sealed bearings were able to withstand biodegreasers. Help!!

· Registered
335 Posts
Their is potential that you'll have to replace the cartridges. I am not sure how serviceable the mavic hub is. Cost is going to depend on exactly what needs to be replaced. If the freehub body is done, which it does not sound like it might be, it will depend on whether or not you can replace the cartridges or if you'll have to replace the freehub body itself.
If the problem is in the hub, which is kind of what it sounds like it just might be, you might just have to extract and replace the cartridges.
Any LBS should be able to do this - it may or may not require job specific tools such as a bearing press. Admittedly I have only serviced a few hubs, mostly slip fit, free and DT products which there was never more than a cleaning involved.
You likely didn't trash anything - I wouldn't worry too much. If your lucky, the cartridges are a standard size (not familiar) and your LBS has them in stock or can get them in house quickly.
I could be totally off too... not so much of a mechanic myself.

may or may not look close to this http://www.bbinstitute.com/DX Demo Chap 13.pdf

j

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.