Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an old backyard bikey and I've done some dumb things but I think I just wrecked my rear hub bearings. I've got a set of Mavic Cosmic Elite wheels. Being a busy dad and training quite a bit for the Pan-Mass Challenge in a few weeks, I noticed that my drivetrain was pretty grungy. I've been using citrus cleaners and stuff for a while and cleaning the whole drivetrain in place. Today I went and got some new stuff and cleaned everything and it looked fantastic! Put some Pedro's on the chain and pivots and took her out for a victory lap and soon realized that it was not a flock of birds following me but my hub chirping!!!
The bearings seem to be done. There is resistance where there was none and I am freaking out. Can these bearings be replaced, regreased, resurrected? I started out in the days of cones and grease. I thought sealed bearings were able to withsta

· Registered
838 Posts
metalhead said:
I'm an old backyard bikey and I've done some dumb things but I think I just wrecked my rear hub bearings. I've got a set of Mavic Cosmic Elite wheels. Being a busy dad and training quite a bit for the Pan-Mass Challenge in a few weeks, I noticed that my drivetrain was pretty grungy. I've been using citrus cleaners and stuff for a while and cleaning the whole drivetrain in place. Today I went and got some new stuff and cleaned everything and it looked fantastic! Put some Pedro's on the chain and pivots and took her out for a victory lap and soon realized that it was not a flock of birds following me but my hub chirping!!!
The bearings seem to be done. There is resistance where there was none and I am freaking out. Can these bearings be replaced, regreased, resurrected? I started out in the days of cones and grease. I thought sealed bearings were able to withsta
Mavic hubs have a bushing that the freehub body rides on and it sounds like you washed away the oil on that bushing. You need to relube it with mineral oil and the squeaking should go away. If the rest of the bearings are still rough you can replace them with new cartridge bearings.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
I'm not an advocate of zealous cleaning. If sparing use of mild soap and unpressurized water isn't good enough then you need to take everything apart, clean it, and then relube it. Obviously, that is a lot of work. Solvents and degreasers might make the outside look pretty, but they also get inside every tiny crack. Bikes generally aren't sealed all that well since good seals also have a lot of friction.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know you're right...

I got lazy and short on time with what seemed to be a environmentally fuzzy solution. It seemed too easy and it was!! Thanks for your advice....

And I thought i knew all things bike! I couldn't have been more upset if I dinged my new car (if I had one!!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.