Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Devoid of all flim-flam
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a large contingent of posters here that say frame material is unimportant, and that any frame material can be tweaked to provide any type of ride - from teeth-rattling to pillow-soft. That being said, does anybody out there ride (or know of) an aluminum frame that proves this to be true, i.e., that is both of racing weight and also soft and smooth on the road?

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
How about one of those bonded Alan frames? They sucked. I had a bonded carbon Alan frame for a while in 1989, it sucked even more. Actually a Vitus would probably be a good bike for you since you ride a smaller frame. For me, it would be a short trip to the recycle bin.

· Registered
1,158 Posts
at the risk of being branded...

At the risk of being labelled a shill, I think that the motobecane lechamp sl frame has the qualities you're looking for. I have this bike, and it's a great ride IMHO. Certainly light enough, and I like it fine for long distances. Or you could look at the Fuji Team SL, which is the identical frame with angular, rather than ovalized tubing.

· Registered
8,000 Posts
My Litespeed Capella...

was light (around 1302g) and was VERY smooth. Most who rode it thought it was was a Ti frame painted. For a botton of the lione frame form Litespeed, the thing rode like a dream. I sold because it got a small ding in the TT and I had a chance to go full carbon.

It was the smoothest Alum frame I ever tired. The 2004-05 Vela is the same frame.

· Devoid of all flim-flam
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everybody. It's nice to know there are makers out there fighting the good fight for Alu.

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Mapei Roida said:
There's a large contingent of posters here that say frame material is unimportant, and that any frame material can be tweaked to provide any type of ride - from teeth-rattling to pillow-soft. That being said, does anybody out there ride (or know of) an aluminum frame that proves this to be true, i.e., that is both of racing weight and also soft and smooth on the road?
Go find a used Bridgestone Radac frame, circa ~1990. Some would say this was the sweetest aluminum bike ever made.

- FBB

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
steel515 said:
is this a bonded frame? do the bonds weaken over time? say if I live in the humid jungle?
It is a bonded frame, but I have never heard of the bonds failing on a Radac. I have been hammering a bonded ATB frame I made since 1994 with no problems. Epoxy bonds, when done correctly, are a safe and permanent method of joining tubes.

Yours,

FBB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.