Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking at skinwallish clinchers for a new retro-styled bike meant for moderately aggressive rides & can't make up my mind...

Vittoria Open Corsa Evo SC? or Continental Grand Prix 4000?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Vits a little faster, smoother riding, fragile, and won't last as long.
This^^^

I've ridden on both and like the Vittorias more for their ride quality. If you want a good all round and year round tire, the Conti is probably a better choice.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Tires wear out.....just get the both so in the long term youll know for sure yourself.

Personally I don't know how anyone in their right mind would get these conti's over these Vits but enough people feel the opposite way to show it's completely subjective not objective.

The one certainty though is that the rubber on the conti will last longer. If the tires lasts longer is a whole other topic. Depends on your luck with the sidewalls.

·
Master debator.
8,816 Posts
I'm a Vittoria fan, but next time around I'm trying the Michelin Pro Race 4 in 25mm. Just need to decide if I go with the Endurance or not, probably will.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Veloflex Master clinchers. Italian made, a little lighter than the Vittorias (at 190 grams), 320 tpi, and have a reported (?) better puncture resistance. Plus they have just released a 25 mm version at 205 grams. They should fit the bill very nicely.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was leaning towards contis since i really like the gp4000s that i am riding now but the vittorias were calling out to me just to try something else.

after checking into those veloflex masters eickmewg mentioned, i liked what i found out & am going with those. will post back about them after i put a few miles on.

appreciate all the assistance...

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Veloflex Master clinchers. Italian made, a little lighter than the Vittorias (at 190 grams), 320 tpi, and have a reported (?) better puncture resistance. Plus they have just released a 25 mm version at 205 grams. They should fit the bill very nicely.
It will be interesting to see if veloflex actually produce a 25mm tire, or simply stamp "25" on the 22mm versions, like they did with the supposed "23mm version. Veloflex have better puncture resistance, but the vittoria give a more "pillowy" ride, IMO.

·
irony intended
772 Posts
I'm going to try the Veloflex Corsa Clincher 23mm (just wanted the black sidewalls). I'll be comparing them to the Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp which has been my go-to for regular (i.e., not tubeless) clincher tires.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my veloflex masters

is it necroing to revive a 2 mo ol thread? since i am posting a follow-up...its ok right? :wink:

anyway, as i already mentioned...i went with veloflex masters & could not be more pleased. light, racy, & handle very sharp. plus, even at high pressures i find them very comfortable for looong rides. its been what?...7 wks?...since i got them & just had my 1st flat. i ride a lot of miles on a lot of crappy roads with a lot of debris on them so i have no complaint about these tires durability. & on top of that, since i was not so far from home when i flatted, i rode back on it & after fixing the flat & inspecting the tire...the gumwall stood up to my abuse & is fine.

re an earlier comment about sizing on these tires...at 125-130 psi mine measure 23mm wide with my old school caliper.

i'm impessed, like my veloflex masters a lot, in fact they deserve...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm happy to hear about your positive experience with the Veloflex Masters. I've got a set of Veloflex Corsa 23 mm clincher tires on the shelf waiting for my Vittorias to wear out. Did you have any difficulties in mounting them?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm happy to hear about your positive experience with the Veloflex Masters. I've got a set of Veloflex Corsa 23 mm clincher tires on the shelf waiting for my Vittorias to wear out. Did you have any difficulties in mounting them?
oh yeah...these suckers are tight. it's the reason i chose to ride a few miles on the flat to get home rather than try a roadside repair.

i had some wire bead panaracer paselas a while back that were a nightmare & these veloflex are almost as bad. thank god i got a koolstop tire jack after i broke all my levers on the paselas & it helps a lot.

next time i have them off, i am very tempted to try stretching them some...but the fact is i love the way they ride so much that i am already considering buying a couple more to keep on hand :yikes:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have been using the Veloflex Corsa 23 and 22 for the past 5 years. I found them tight at first and then they will stretch out. Actually I have a pair that a moved to a new set of Campy Zonda 2 way fit and they were the only tires that fit nicely than a pair of Vittorias and Contis.

I found the Corsa CX to ride smooth and fast, however they wear and pit fast. Never used the gp4000s but used the GP 4 seasons. I am very happy with the GP 4 season.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I decided to put my new Veloflex Corsa 23 clinchers on my spare wheels to stretch a bit. I was surprised that I could mount them on Mavic Open Pro rims without any tire levers. Plus, one of the old tubes I used split along a seam and I was able to remove the tire from the rim again only using my hands, A pleasant surprise. On these narrow rims, the Veloflexes measure out at about 23.5 mm.

·
irony intended
772 Posts
I've got the Veloflex Corsa 23 mounted on 20.5mm wide rims (13.5 internal) and the tires wound up measuring right at 22.5...I have a set of Corsa 25s to mount when the 23s wear out (the rear is showing some significant wear after about 1000 miles) and I haven't had any flats...

The 23s weighed 200-202 grams each, and mounting was a little tough the first time.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
If you want skinwalls, Torelli makes a nice "open tubular" clincher that is much less expensive than either the Vittorias or the Contis and very high quality. The Torellis are 240 TPI and weigh only 220 grams, available in all-black or skinwall. My bike shop sold them to me for only $35 each. I've had them on one of my bikes for a couple of years with no flats and plenty of tread left, and they ride very nice. My only complaint is they are only available in 23s and I prefer to ride 25s or larger. If they were available in 25s, I would put them on some other bikes that I own.

Torino Open Tubular

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just changed from Conti GP 4000S to Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX clinchers and all I can say is wow! My Parlee Z5 now rides like a dream, it practically floats over previously rough roads, they roll very fast and smooth I'm very pleased with them. I understand that the Vittoria's may not be as durable as the Conti's but I'm only 130 lbs so I think I'll be pretty easy on them, and even if I get less mileage out of them the improvement in ride quality is certainly worth it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.