3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contador totally BLOWN AWAY. He dops to 4th, 1'50'' down. Wow

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
jd3 said:
Contador totally BLOWN AWAY. He dops to 4th, 1'50'' down. Wow
Yeah out go the lights, it was pretty clear hes was in bad trouble but what made it clear was when the large group caught him, rode past and he went right out the back, WOW.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Contador stopped just pass the line, hanging on to the barrier asking for food and drink. Totally wiped out.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I must give credit to Luis Leon Sanchez. Nice win. He attacked Contador and broke him

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
fantastic stage to follow. I wonder about Astana's
Penchant for leaving their leader out in the cold.
Twice so far this race. Once in the ToC.
Could it be team testing Conti as some people
Have suggested, or are Astana's leaders that
Far above the ability of the as a whole?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where was Astana? I didn't even see any teammates try to help Contador when was passed by the peloton.

·
Registered
273 Posts
voight 9 seconds behind contador.. lolll

wad a race... when we thought contador will be saved when a group of riders came past but they dropped him.. contador cant even hang on..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Astana? Like others, I'm wondering where they were. Anyone know? I wonder how Contador feels about his team now.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Contador will need some beer and Jack tonight:D

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
WOW.
Just back from reading the CN blog. On the surface it appears Popo and the rest of Astana thought Cont would be able to stick with group. They left him alone with the front group for quite a long distance. A few things couldhave happened.
1) they weren't counting on all the attacks, and were countingmore on his pseudo Patron status to save him
2) the pace today was just too high for the team. They lead the race the past few days at a high cadence, and tidays effort took its toll.
3) hunger bonk and tired legs from the past weeks efforts
4) armstrong-gate
5) not enough "beer and jack"

I need to find this on youtube. I am still looking for stage 6 finish when conti was so strong.

I was so happy to see so many attacks. As someone asked yesterday, why don't they always work against the leader? It doesn't always come together like it did today. The perfect storm to steal the leaders jersey.

Good on Sanchez! Especially after the effort from yesterday.

Tomorrow might be crazy!

anyone hazzard a guess as to who conti will ride for next year?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
weltyed said:
Come on man! How about a spoiler warning! I didnt think the stage would be done by now.

Off to CN to not be surprised.
Sorry bout dat. I was a bit over excited.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote from LA's Twitter "Unfortunate day for Alberto. Amazing talent but still a lot to learn"
http://twitter.com/lancearmstrong
I'd love to know what he's really thinking.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Still a lot to learn? Like he hasn't won the last 3 grand tours he was in? What, exactly, does he have to learn? Maybe leaving a team that's set up for LA? If it were Lance exposed like that he wouldn't be talking about what he has to learn.

Ugh. Reallly not happy about LA's return, as you can tell. I'll shut up now. I just feel bad for Contador.

·
Registered
336 Posts
farm said:
Still a lot to learn? Like he hasn't won the last 3 grand tours he was in? What, exactly, does he have to learn? Maybe leaving a team that's set up for LA? If it were Lance exposed like that he wouldn't be talking about what he has to learn.

Ugh. Reallly not happy about LA's return, as you can tell. I'll shut up now. I just feel bad for Contador.

Looks like you have a lot to learn too. Those 3 grand tours were awesome but close performances that he could have lost with "any" bad luck or bad planning, like today....

And in close, I dont mean time, I mean anything can go wrong at any time. It helps to have the best team in the world behind you.

Brian

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
ProRoad said:
Looks like you have a lot to learn too. Those 3 grand tours were awesome but close performances that he could have lost with "any" bad luck or bad planning, like today....

And in close, I dont mean time, I mean anything can go wrong at any time. It helps to have the best team in the world behind you.

Brian
Yup.

Levi could have most definitely won the Vuelta.

I bet Contador made a mistake today perhaps.

Then again, who knows.

Lance obviously knows a lot more than we do with regards to how/why he dropped like a sack of potatoes.

The guy's got a LOT of talent as we've seen time and time again. I do think he needs to grow in the mental aspect of racing perhaps. Of course, it's just what I think and nothing more.

·
Old enough to know better
720 Posts
. As someone asked yesterday, why don't they always work against the leader? It doesn't always come together like it did today. The perfect storm to steal the leaders jersey.

anyone hazzard a guess as to who conti will ride for next year?

That was me yesterday. I think Cont. paid for yesterdays efforts today. Everyone (still) in the race was gunning for him, taking him to task and making him earn that yellow. Lovely bit of racing! I m glad someone rocked it out today, too many times we see a huge one day ride from rider X blow up a race in one day and the next day everyone is still on their heels. What a way to bring this back to a real race.

Now some real questions:
WTF is up with Astana? As others have noted they seem to be getting a real reputation for leaving their GC contenders undefended, alone and at the mercy of the cycling gods. Are the testing all these guys to see where they are fitness level wise? My gut says no, but with so many names on that team maybe they re trying to sort out what they ve really got and who rides for who and when?

How does Mr Armstrong fit into all of this? It seems he s maybe trying to give Contador some bulletin board motivation with his "a lot to learn" comment. Lance learned those lessons a few tours ago.... Will Lance step it up and try to win a few races coming up to prove he is "really back" or does he continue his "i m just happy to be here, riding myself into shape" tour of the cycling world?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts