Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done any road rides in Pocahontas County WV? How was it riding the CR (county roads)? Are there any rides that you would recommed?

Any info would be much appreciated.

All the best,

Mark
Cabin John, MD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mark,

Pocahontas County has some of the best road riding you will find anywhere. I have ridden there alot but don't remember the exact name of roads and usually just take a map. My favorite ride is to start just outside of Richwood and ride up Kennison Mountain to the Cranberry Wilderness visitor's center. This is about a 13-15 mile climb but isn't steep until the end. You can leave this part out and ride from the visitor's center. From the visitor's center get on the Scenic Highway which is a beautiful stretch with several big ascents and downhills. (approx. 20 miles). At then end of the scenic highway hang a right which is about a 4-5 mile downhill to the town of Marlington. I can't remember exactly where from here but there is an outdoor shop on the main road (very small town) that will tell you how to get back to the visitor's center from the back way which is a big climb. If you left from outside of Richwood you then get to go back down the Kennison. Total milegae is about 80.

Also, if you get a chance on a different day, ride from the Cass Scenic Railroad up the backway to Snowhsoe Mountain. Its approx. a 6 mile climb with the last 2 being extremely steep. Hope you enjoy the Mountain State!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.