Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
member at large
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My coolpix s51 went swimming in a creek. Any suggestions for a replacement? Want something that will easily fit in pocket, but perhaps with less "lag" than the nikon had. Nothing too fancy, have an slr for serious stuff.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
I like the Canon Powershot series. I'm currently using the IS580 model. Lots of features that I haven't figured out yet. But its very easy to use and setup.

·
Banned
7,134 Posts
crashtestdummy said:
My coolpix s51 went swimming in a creek. Any suggestions for a replacement? Want something that will easily fit in pocket, but perhaps with less "lag" than the nikon had. Nothing too fancy, have an slr for serious stuff.
Read this thread by LenJ and TerryB's suggestions on a point an shoot. There is a world of information on cameras in that thread.

Snip below
terry b said:
I just ended up with a Casio FH-100.

The key thing with compacts (in my book anyway) is zoom. While I have been using a Leica DLUX-4 (has a Panasonic cousin the LX5) the zoom is too whimpy for my general needs. I found myself out in the road, trying to take pictures and coming up short (this experience extends across the Leica, several Canon ELPHs).

The Casio has 10x which is more than adequate, it fits in a jersey pocket and it shoots RAW. DPReview just did a piece on what they are calling "travel compacts", small cameras with decent zooms. The Casio "won" and it's the only one that shoots RAW.

One downside, and they recognized it in the comparison - RAW storage takes (literally) 15 seconds. It's nasty, but as an all-around compact it's a small price to pay.

If you can get by with 2x-4.5x, the Panasonic LX5 is nice (as is the Leica).

If it doesn't have to fit in a jersey pocket, the Canon G series is very hard to beat although it too has the zoom limitation. Canon S90 is small and it shoots RAW. Nice camera but again, whimpy zoom.

As you can see, I am obsessed by zoom. Might seem trivial but I missed too many things when trying to use my other compacts.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
My Lumix has a 12X zoom, which is really handy!

·
Registered
100 Posts
For me reasonable low light performance was the key criteria as I mostly take landscape shots or am close enough to the subject that a xbillion zoom isn't worth the sacrifice in image quality. I also find myself inside in situations where I don't really want to use a flash.

My choice was a canon S90 now replaced by the S95. It's pricier than the average P&S but has decent image stabilization, takes great pictures, and has a fair amount of customizability in terms of image settings (fairly smart in auto mode). It fits fine in a bigger pocket.

If you want zoom what they've said about Panasonic is great advice. I shoot Nikon DSLRs but would stick with Canon or Panasonic for smaller cameras

1 - 8 of 8 Posts