Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing the RAIN ride - 160 miles across Indiana in mid-July. I would like to mix 4, 2-hour water bottles with Hammer Nutrition Perpetuem to carry on the bike so I will not have to bother with premeasured portions in plastic sandwich bags and mixing the contents on the ride. I would also like to have some cold water if I get too hot.

Do Polar water bottles keep a Perpetuem mixture cool enough and insulate from the sun's rays well enough to keep it from spoiling over an 8-hour ride?

How long would they last and what is the best strategy? Is putting ice cubes and cold water the morning of the ride good enough or is pre-mixing and freezing the bottle overnight the only way to do it?

I was thinking ice cubes and cold water for 2 bottles to be used the first 4 hours and maybe premixing and freezing 2 bottles overnight to be used the last 4 hours.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Sounds right to me, I've used the Polar bottles for two seasons now...
They are better than plain ol' plastic bottles for sure, are they a miracle cure to keeping liquid cold, no. Do they keep 6 ice cubes and water cold for 4 hours... yep.

I don't mix Gels or use powders in my bottles, it's always straight water.
I've frozen 1 of my bottles and it worked out fine, no issues.

BTW - I'm doing a century down in Brown County on Father's Day weekend, if it goes well, maybe I'll put RAIN on my list too...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sprocket - Matt said:
BTW - I'm doing a century down in Brown County on Father's Day weekend, if it goes well, maybe I'll put RAIN on my list too...
I live in flat, central Indiana. I am a horrible climber and get little practice. I could not go a century in brown county. If you can RAIN would probably be easy for you. This will be my second RAIN and I am hoping and strategizing for big improvement over last year. Once that is completed I am going to concentrate on weight loss and strength and then begin emphaizing training for climbing.

·
Humanity...or....Vanity?
406 Posts
Is there an elevation chart of the RAIN course? Last year's winner averaged 26 mph with 6 and a half hours, but the final finishers were just inside the cutoff of 14 hours. I am intrigued by this ride now.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'm with ya dekindy...
I live in INDY too.
We'll SEE if I can finish a century in Brown County...
I've done the Hilly several times, and a few Metric Century rides down there...
I'm not saying it's gonna be easy... for us flat landers, but I've never dropped out of a ride without finishing, unless due to a crash which resulted in broken shoulder...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
dwwheels said:
Is there an elevation chart of the RAIN course? Last year's winner averaged 26 mph with 6 and a half hours, but the final finishers were just inside the cutoff of 14 hours. I am intrigued by this ride now.
The hills are long, gradual ones. They slowed me down last year because I am not a good climber. I stayed seated and my buddy who is much lighter and a better biker stood up and cranked up them leaving me in the dust. They are somewhat a factor but nothing for a strong rider to be concerned about. Most of the hills are in the first leg, in the western part of the state. There are also hills in the last leg and around the end near Richmond. The rest of the route is flat. You are in the Central Till Plain as us native Hoosiers learned in Indiana History class in grade school. Completely flattened by glaciers.

An elevation chart would be nice. But RAIN has hills as opposed to climbs that you would encounter in Brown County. You can see hills from a distance and see the end and have a good idea of what you are dealing with and can gear accodingly. In Brown County, they are climbs which are much steeper, sometimes cannot be seen in advance because of curves, shading and terrain makes it difficult to guage steepness, and often do not know the length or steepness because you cannot see the top or the fact that the steepness increases because the climb goes around a curve or several in many instances.

I was down south of Indianapolis on Saturday doing a ride that I also did a year ago. There were a couple of instances that I went downhill in my granny gear because I knew there was a tough hill on the other side or around the corner. Much stronger riders than I were walking some of those hills because they were in the wrong gear and could not shift because of the tremendous torque load due to the steepness of the hill.

A couple of hills I did not pedal on the downhill because I knew the momentum would carry me over the top of the next hill at a fast speed without even pedaling.

There is no strategy like this needed on RAIN.

·
Humanity...or....Vanity?
406 Posts
Thanks Matt and dekindy,

I may look into doing this. Nice links and great insight. Thanks again.

I live on the east side of Columbus and may just ride RAIN and continue down 40 to my house.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sprocket - Matt said:
I'm with ya dekindy...
I live in INDY too.
We'll SEE if I can finish a century in Brown County...
I've done the Hilly several times, and a few Metric Century rides down there...
I'm not saying it's gonna be easy... for us flat landers, but I've never dropped out of a ride without finishing, unless due to a crash which resulted in broken shoulder...
If you want a really tough ride, look for JAWS on the cibaride.org calendar next year. It was last weekend this year.

If you do the JAWS century it is 7,000 to 8,000 feet of climbing in one day. In contrast, the HIlly Hundred is about 4,500 feet of climbing in two days. Some of the grades are 15-20%. Basically the route was designed to hit every difficult hill possible. I had to walk several hills. I am 20 years older and a little heavier, but I did not have to walk any hills when I did the first day of the Hilly Hundred in the mid-80's. I have a triple now and I had a 53/39 back then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.