Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently installed a Polar Cadence sensor on my bike, but I've noticed that my cadence is about one half of what it should be? Can anyone point out what I've done wrong? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
116 Posts
Maybe the cadence sensor is too far from the wrist unit that you're getting inconsistent readings. Did you install the cadence sensor on the downtube as the instructions suggest? I've tried putting the cadence sensor on the seat stays or chain stays and the readings were always inconsistent. If you did install the sensor on the downtube, you might want to try and up the transmission strength by opening the sensor and switching the jumpers inside. I did this and everything works great. This assumes though that you have the older style sensors and not the newer smaller style (which I've been told can't be opened).

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well...

The sensor is located on the downtube, and I believe its a newer version of the sensor (since I purchased it about 2 weeks ago).

Thanks for the help, I've also sent in a question to Polar to see what they have to say.

· Registered
30 Posts
Some of the Polar cadence sensors aren't compatible with various head units/watches. I purchased a CS100 from Nashbar a month or so ago, and then purchased the only cadence sensor they had available a few weeks later. After installing it, the CS100 was telling me that my cadence was in the 160's - 190's, which is pretty impressive right? Ends up, the "deluxe" model cadence sensor (with user replacable batteries) will only work on the expensive S range of polar units, and the less expensive CS range will sense each pulse from the sender as 2 rotations, effectively doubling your actual cadence. So if you buy a CS unit, you're stuck with the cheapo disposible sensors.

· Registered
46 Posts
Do you have the cadence sensor on the same side of the bike as the computer? I had problems with the cadence when it was not on the same side as the computer unit. I put the speed sensor, cadence and computer unit all on the same side of the bike, and the cadence became much more reliable. Good luck with it.

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. FYI, I think the sensor should be compatible with the HRM because I've got one of the S720s. I've checked on the web site, and I might readjust the jumpers (if I can) and then probably reposition it a bit higher on the downtube.

Also, the sensor is on the same side as the watch, but not the same side as the speed sensor. I guess I'll switch it around and see what that does.

I appreciate the help. Thanks.

· Registered
30 Posts
mloywhite said:
Do you have the cadence sensor on the same side of the bike as the computer? I had problems with the cadence when it was not on the same side as the computer unit. I put the speed sensor, cadence and computer unit all on the same side of the bike, and the cadence became much more reliable. Good luck with it.

When I was diagnosing the problem, I had the head unit inches away from the sensor, and I was turning the crank by hand. A very slow turn of the crank was displaying 80 rpm, when I was doing way less than one turn per second.

The literature mentioned nothing about compatibility/incompatibility, but after doing some digging around the Polar site, I determined that that particular model of cadence sensor only works with upper range S model displays.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.