Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got on my ride yesterday. I do this exact same ride about 4 times per week and have never had a problem with interference/ glitch until yesterday. When I started my ride my HR was about 115 about normal for me. Then I start going up the first little hill, very easy trying to warm up, and my HRM all of a sudden said my HR was 230. So I panic and check my HR by hand all is well. It did this for the whole ride. The HR would erratically jump from 200 to 260 to 60 and so on. At one stop light it just stayed at 260 for several mins. Does anyone have an idea what could cause this, could it be battery in the chest strap. Thanks for any help.

Lee

·
Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
Sounds familiar.

I've had a CS200 for two months, and have seen this same behavior perhaps four times (including on last night's ride). On two of those times, I didn't think I was near enough to any power lines that there should have been any interference. I wish these units had a means to toss out any grossly anomalous readings ... a single, brief reading of 236 (the highest I've seen) isn't enough to screw up the average, but obviously it makes the Maximum Heart Rate value meaningless.

I've also found that this computer apparently has a random-number generator that spits out a different tire diameter value for each ride. I've fiddled and fiddled and fiddled with the [email protected] thing and just cannot get it exactly dialed in, so that it returns consistent readouts over the same route on different days. (And this is after being very careful with tire pressures, BTW.)

All in all I generally like the CS200 but it's one of those oh-so-close products ... a solid basic design but with a few really frustrating quirks.

·
Team Bovine Paceline
89 Posts
Seeing that you have ridden the same route before without problems I would rule out powerline interference. Are you growing some abnormaly thick chest hair, if so, shave it, if not, try using some lubricant. If this isn't the problem I would change the batteries in the chest strap and the unit.

Polar has sold models in the past with gliches and quirks, they use their customers as their testing facility. My unit will reset all ride data if you are out of heartrate range from your bike for 3 minutes. If you or someone else flats, you have to excrete, maybe a reststop, forget about your total ride data, it's gone. Funny when I mentioned this to Polar they had already put out a new unit to replace mine with the only difference being a 30 minute grace period before resetting ride data. Glad I could help future customers but the most Polar would do for me is; if I would send them my old unit (s520) plus 225.00, they would send me the new unit. No thanks Polar, I'll stick close to my bike on long rides.

John

·
Registered
838 Posts
About one ride out of five, I get a completely bogus maximum HR. It happens more frequently on some routes than others. I'm not sure you can do much about it.

My pet peeve is the distance reading at the top of the screen. It is often difficult to read, as the top half of the numbers get shaded by the case at some light angles. I also don't like the fact that I can't read my distance when I stop, as the distance is replaced by the word "paused".

·
Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
John Nelson said:
I also don't like the fact that I can't read my distance when I stop, as the distance is replaced by the word "paused".
Turning off AutoStart will cure that problem instantly, if that will work for you.

It works for me, because it appears -- but I have not verified this, yet -- that the speedo/odo functions continue to work any time the unit is turned on. At the end of the ride, you get two time values: Exercise Time, and Ride Time. The former is the total time the unit was detecting your heartrate; the latter is the time the bicycle was actually rolling and the sensor is being triggered. I'm assuming, but as I say have not yet verified, that the average speed is calculated based on the ride time.

If you make a long stop and want the HRM function to pause, you can do that manually.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had this problem intermittently earlier in the spring. I have concluded it is generally due to poor contact between the chest strap and my skin, especially when it is <55 degrees F or so. Windy days also seem to be worse for some unclear reason.

Now I am sure to get the strap wet and make sure the contact is good. Now that I have been doing this and now that it has heated up around here, the erratic heart rate seems to have disappeared.

Pags

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yea I will see if it does it again tomorrow morning. Other than this i have had no problems with my cs200. However now that you mention it there does seem to be some discression about the lingth of the ride that i do, and its the same every time. I do however have an explanation for this. If the computer is on auto start/stop it may restart later from a light, or stop sooner when stopping at a light. I probably would be a big difference but on a long ride it could add up. Just my thoughs on that.

Thanks
Lee

·
Registered
463 Posts
I used mine for the first time today and I gotta say it taught me so much about how I ride.

I learned that - 100rpm isn't really that hard to do. [I thought my pace was much much much lower]
I learned that - sticking in the right HR range, ain't quite easy yet.

But yeah, Love this unit so far. I just read every word of the instructions so things seem to be working fine.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have had no problems with my CS200, but on an older Polar, I got the same sort of anaomalous readings from time to time. Once, it happened when I was riding past a cop with a radar gun. I don't think I was so nervous about getting caught speeding that my hr jumped to 280, but it may have had something to do with the radar. I could be wrong about this (I'm a BikeProf, after all, not a RadarProf).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Same problem here also!

Jwh445 said:
Seeing that you have ridden the same route before without problems I would rule out powerline interference. Are you growing some abnormaly thick chest hair, if so, shave it, if not, try using some lubricant. If this isn't the problem I would change the batteries in the chest strap and the unit.

Polar has sold models in the past with gliches and quirks, they use their customers as their testing facility. My unit will reset all ride data if you are out of heartrate range from your bike for 3 minutes. If you or someone else flats, you have to excrete, maybe a reststop, forget about your total ride data, it's gone. Funny when I mentioned this to Polar they had already put out a new unit to replace mine with the only difference being a 30 minute grace period before resetting ride data. Glad I could help future customers but the most Polar would do for me is; if I would send them my old unit (s520) plus 225.00, they would send me the new unit. No thanks Polar, I'll stick close to my bike on long rides.

John
I had gotten a Polar S710 with additional accessories as a gift a few years back and had problems with it since day one. Erroneous readings etc.. After a year and a half the unit died completely. Fortunately my bike store (they didn't even sell me that unit) sent it to Polar. Got the same answer like you did. $150 dollar repair and they wouldn't budge on extending my warranty. Remember this unit was a least 400 dollars US. Their technical help by email was also terrible. No help whatsoever on getting the software Mac compatible. Fortunately some Mac geek made his own application to work with Polar units. Needless to say I have used many units and Cateye was the best even the Shimano one that came with my Cannnondale bike was great. Now I'm getting a CatEye CD300DW with my new Look 555 this week. Polar has failed me twice in recent years and so I refuse to buy it now and will not give it a good rating.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.