Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
need heart rate/computer recomendation

I've been shopping around for a heart rate/cycling computer the last few weeks and have decided to purchase one. I am thinking of buying the Polar cs200. Is anyone using this model, and what are your thoughts on it? If not does anyone have any recomendations?Thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
Polar is the way to go

I have not used that model specifically, but I have a polar S710 and its the best HR monitor I have used. I have also owned a Timex and a cheap sigma. The polar gets me a reading every time, which is more than the other two I used previously. The only downside to the polar is that its not the most user friendly watch out there. However, once you've had it for a while, you will have no problem getting through the menus. Also, once the transmitter battery dies, you have to send it back to the company for a replacement.

Other than those two points, its hard to go wrong with the Polar.

·
GeoCyclist
655 Posts
$$$ but great products!

leatherneck said:
I've been shopping around for a heart rate/cycling computer the last few weeks and have decided to purchase one. I am thinking of buying the Polar cs200. Is anyone using this model, and what are your thoughts on it? If not does anyone have any recomendations?Thanks
Yeah, I own two Polar HR monitor / bike computers; CS200 and S725. The quality of these products is very good. The set-up is very easy. I set up the CS200 without a user-manual as I purchased this computer in Japan (Japanese only user manual) last spring before there was a manual available on the Polar web site.

I bought the CS200 for my wife to use on our tandem. I’m wishing I had purchased a second S725; as my wife has expressed interest in using her HR monitor for other sports activities. Make sure all you want is a bike HR monitor / computer before you purchase the CS200; as expanding its use to other sports is not an option.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
I have the CS100

with cadence. I like it because I can see cadence, speed, distance, and HR all on one screen. The mount is a bit flimsy, but you have the option of mounting it on your stem or bars.

The only thing that I don't like is that I can only set 1 target HR zone, where with my S210 I can set three. Some of the wrist/bar-mountable models do allow you to set three zones, though. If you're a triathlete, one of those models might be your best bet.

leatherneck said:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just bought the CS200 today ...

I just bought the CS200 today at the recommendation of my LBS, and after doing a little post-purchase research, I'm already thinking about returning it. Why? First, (unlike their high-end watches) you can't download workout data to your computer -- only to Polar's web site. Second, (also unlike the watches) the CS200 doesn't continuously sample data, but only stores the data from your entire workout (min/max/average hr, speed, etc.). I was really hoping to be able to look at, say, an overlaid graph of my HR and speed during a time trial to see how I paced myself ... nope, only the watches can do that.

If all you want is a basic HRM and computer in one unit, the CS200 seems like a pretty good way to go. However, if you want to store and analyze data, it has fewer features than Polar's watch-style models.

EDIT: Upon further research, it only looks like the top-of-the-line 720 series does all these things, and they cost at least twice as much ... so the CS200 may not be such a bad deal after all.

Cheers,
Ari

1 - 5 of 5 Posts