Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new computer. I'd like to go wireless cadence/HRM/speed. In my price range I've narrowed my choice down to the above units. Right now I'm leaning towards the Cateye due to the fact I can use it on a trainer as well due to the single sensor. Am I correct in assuming the Polar can't do that? What benefit will the Polar provide other than uploads and maybe a better HRM...Reviews are all over the place as to quality of the unit...The v3 maybe be too new to judge...

Anybody have experience with both units?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am on the same path....narrowed to these two OR a Garmin 305 Edge (prob. not though...way too big).

I've used monitors from both companies and have the following observations that I continue to mull over in my mind.

1. The Polar has HUGE sensors - two of them. Personally, I don't like the way they look at all compared to the Cateye. This almost eliminates it as an option, though you may be right that the HR monitor of the Polar is better.

2. While I have not used the Polar link to PC, I understand it's an archaic link at best. Garmin w/b better.

3. The Cateye has a small face, and I am concerned the cadence feature w/b hard to read. Other than that, it really looks like an excellent choice. I also think the data transfer is faster (1/second) that would translate to more accurate and timely speed and cadence info.

4. Neither is good for triathletes unless you want to swim and run blind relative to HR data, OR use a different HR monitor for that event and then go HR blind on the bike. Having done many triathlons, I'm actually at the point I don't really need the HR data on these events...I just go all out 'till I can't anymore..

I too would like to hear from anyone who has actually used these product...Pros / Cons?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well, did you decide? I'm about to make the same choice, and it'd be good to hear from those who made the right choice or regretful choice, as the case may be.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went against better judgement and got the Polar, due to an unbelievable deal I got on the web. My coach uses strictly Polar so that'll help a little. First one I received had display issues, sent it back..second one is fine...So far so good...It is big. Especially the cadence sensor, however that is only going to stay on one bike for now....

Bill

·
Registered
73 Posts
I went with the Polar and have been fairly pleased. The screen is easy to read and I like the review of file when you are done. I also like the uplink to the Polar Website to summarize your data and weekly or monthly workouts. The detail on the website leaves a few things to be desired, but considering the Cateye has none of it, I consider this a bonus.

My only issue (minor and still trying to figure out) is that the mileage seems a bit off on most rides. I have a few rides that I know the distance and the Polar seems to short me about 2 miles over a 25 mile route. I think it may be due to the unit occassionally "pausing' in which events the wireless is not communicating since I know I have the wheel size set correctly and the speed seems spot on when I compare it to other guys I am riding with at the time.

I initially thought I would not like the size of either of the sensors, but honestly it's a non-issue. It all looks great on the bike.

I did try the Cateye at the LBS and thought the buttons were hard(er) to push and also the screen harder to read (definitely).:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.