Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Polar w/ the power meter pulls a ton of data, no doubt. Here's a recap from a century I rode a few weeks ago. The 1st 17 miles are missing due to user error, and are on a separate file.
Here are some q's I have
  • what's a good recovery hr figure here?
  • the L/R balance is pretty cool, but is it useful?
Next chance I get, I'm going to run a very hard zone 4 workout for an hour to figure out my FTP, and use it as my baseline for power intervals.

this beast captures a ton of data, it's going to be a challenge to distill it into useful training information, but what an awesome toy.

as the product reviews state - the installation is a PITA, if you're in the market for one of these, be very careful w/ the chainspeed sensor. The power unit could be better designed too, IMHO.

Data Value Unit
Duration 4:06:45
Sampling Rate 5 s

Energy Expenditure 3105 kcal
Number of Heart Beats 35544 beats
Recovery -29 beats
Minimum Heart Rate 101 bpm
Average Heart Rate 144 bpm
Maximum Heart Rate 180 bpm
Standard Deviation 13.3 bpm

Minimum Speed 68:58 min/mile
Average Speed 4:48 min/mile
Maximum Speed 2:47 min/mile
Distance 82.7 miles
Odometer 10020 miles

Minimum Cadence 0 rpm
Average Cadence 70 rpm
Maximum Cadence 121 rpm
Coasting Time 1:10:55 (28.7 %)
Coasting Distance 16.2 miles (19.5 %)

Minimum Altitude 138 ft
Average Altitude 213 ft
Maximum Altitude 279 ft
Ascent 955 ft
Descent 896 ft
VAM 232 ft/h

Minimum Power 1 Watts
Average Power 237 Watts
Average Power (0 W incl.) 162 Watts
Maximum Power 801 Watts
Pedaling Index Average 24 %
Pedaling Index Maximum 98 %
Left Right Balance Average L48 - 52R Left - Right
Left Right Balance Maximum L90 - 10R Left - Right

·
Registered
902 Posts
millerinva said:
[*]what's a good recovery hr figure here?
You might consider limiting focus to training based on power, recovery HR will sort itself out once you have established Power baselines.

the L/R balance is pretty cool, but is it useful?
While some will disagree, personally I think this is about as useful as the other Powermeters - none of which have a direct means of measuring force/torque input from the non-drive side and uunless you see a large discrepency (> 10-20%) best guesses are not going to do much.

Average Speed 4:48 min/mile
Maximum Speed 2:47 min/mile
Might consider changing the exercise in Polar Pro Trainier 5 from running to cycling so that speed is displayed as mph instead of min/mile.

Average Power 237 Watts
Average Power (0 W incl.) 162 Watts
Maximum Power 801 Watts
Power numbers look pretty good but if you really want to focus on getting the most out your power meter, you really need to download and install the evaluation version for Training Peaks WKO 2.2 (http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/wko) in order to see what you are missing.

While the CS600 does not directly afford the user an 'average' power display during a ride, you can use PPT5 to create an exercise set that defines warmup, work, steady, recovery, and cooldown intervals all based on Power output. A graph of current power based on the high/low limits for power ouput degined for an interval can be viewed during the ride and used as a means of maintaining interval targets or tracking average power. If you want to figure out functional threshold power, then take a look at this articel from the TrainingPeaks website: http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/power411/threshold.asp

·
Cycling Coach
1,734 Posts
millerinva said:
Next chance I get, I'm going to run a very hard zone 4 workout for an hour to figure out my FTP, and use it as my baseline for power intervals.
Yes, a good 1 hour long hard effort is best for this. But if you want to know more about techniques used to estimate your FTP then have a read here:
http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2008/05/seven-deadly-sins.html

·
Registered
59 Posts
ms6073 said:
Power numbers look pretty good but if you really want to focus on getting the most out your power meter, you really need to download and install the evaluation version for Training Peaks WKO 2.2 (http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/wko) in order to see what you are missing.
I'll second the recommendation to get Training Peaks. In fact, go ahead and try out the evaluation version, but purchasing it is a good value too. I download all my data from my Ergomo to it. You can block sections of your ride, like I'll do with the data from 2 miles of climbing, or 45 minutes of TT on the aero bars and evaluate the power numbers from those intervals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.