Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for kicks, I used a Polar HRM calibrated to my height, weight, age, gender, etc...to see how many calories I expended during a ride.

I did 50 miles over hilly terrain, averaging 160 bpm and 16mph. Per the HRM, I burned just over 2,700 calories. Does this sound accurate, or is Polar's Owncal function overstating totals to make me feel like I earned that extra peanut butter cup?

· Registered
151 Posts
I've had a Polar for years and do look at the calories it says I've burned on a ride. I have no idea if it's right, but do feel that it's probably the same degree of accuracy or inaccuracy to use to compare one ride to another.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Relative only

JasonF said:
Just for kicks, I used a Polar HRM calibrated to my height, weight, age, gender, etc...to see how many calories I expended during a ride. I did 50 miles over hilly terrain, averaging 160 bpm and 16mph. Per the HRM, I burned just over 2,700 calories. Does this sound accurate, or is Polar's Owncal function overstating totals to make me feel like I earned that extra peanut butter cup?
The number sounds significantly high, which is not surprising. Your customers are more satisfied when your product tells them that they are high output monsters. This number suggests that you averaged 240 watts during this effort, which is 865 calories per hour. This amount of power would allow you to average 23 mph on the flats in zero wind. Can you do that for 3 hours?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.