Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Polar s720i has begun stopping at random times during my workouts. If I notice it, I press the red start button and it starts up again. However, there have been times I haven't noticed it and it has been stopped for what is presumably a few minutes before I notice it. Arrgh!

I checked the magnet on the front wheel and the start/stop feature when riding appears to work right. In fact, last night on the trainer it stopped for no apparent reason at least 2x.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I am thinking it may be indicative of the battery wearing out & needing to be replaced. I've used it nearly 4-6x/week (8-10 hrs) for about 1.75 yrs, now.

not sure.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,410 Posts
The battery in my wrist unit needs replacing every 13-14 months. Had to do it again, Wed., after the screen went blank on my Tues. workout.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do u chg battery urself?

MR_GRUMPY said:
The battery in my wrist unit needs replacing every 13-14 months. Had to do it again, Wed., after the screen went blank on my Tues. workout.
I haven't chgd battery in this one since I bought it. But the old one I had you had to send it in to Polar for them to do it.

just curious if you do it urself and if it's relatively ez. I'm not so concerned about invalidating the wsarranty or anything.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I sent my 725 to Polar in December and was glad I did. I changed the chest transmitter myself about 9 months prior but noticed the strap was developing small cracks near the electrodes. Polar replaced the watch battery and gave me a new strap for less than $25 IIRC.
Lou.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Don't Believe it's the Battery

Supersonic said:
My Polar s720i has begun stopping at random times during my workouts. If I notice it, I press the red start button and it starts up again. However, there have been times I haven't noticed it and it has been stopped for what is presumably a few minutes before I notice it. Arrgh!

I checked the magnet on the front wheel and the start/stop feature when riding appears to work right. In fact, last night on the trainer it stopped for no apparent reason at least 2x.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I am thinking it may be indicative of the battery wearing out & needing to be replaced. I've used it nearly 4-6x/week (8-10 hrs) for about 1.75 yrs, now.

not sure.
My 720i has done this since I first got it - and it still does it today. So I leave it in the LP display mode to catch it if I miss the beep. BTW, I started having transmission problems with the IR connection and sent it to NY for a warranty repair. Turned out that it was a weak wrist unit battery (though the documentation does not mention this as a symptom of a weak battery). They changed the battery for free, and now the IR transmission works great - but the unit still randomly stops on its own. Something I have learned to live with.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
interesting...

Bill70J said:
My 720i has done this since I first got it - and it still does it today. So I leave it in the LP display mode to catch it if I miss the beep. BTW, I started having transmission problems with the IR connection and sent it to NY for a warranty repair. Turned out that it was a weak wrist unit battery (though the documentation does not mention this as a symptom of a weak battery). They changed the battery for free, and now the IR transmission works great - but the unit still randomly stops on its own. Something I have learned to live with.
this is the 2nd polar unit i've had and i've never had a problem w/ it stopping randomly. that's just simply infuriating and not sth i think you should live with. that thing costs too much $$$ to malfunction like that, IMHO.

i agree, though, that a good way 2 deal w/ it is to keep it in LP display. but when you're in a race or hard workout situation, it's sometimes tough to focus on the computer to see if it's stopped or not.

i dunno, maybe it's time to get one of those bike mount polar computers they recently came out with.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use the 510 and mine stops (or starts) when I ride under high voltage lines, driving my truck or my wife's van. It only does it if it is in the working mode (if I have it stopped and get into a car -- it'll start up again). It seems any electrical field will cause it to do wacky things.

I don't remember it always doing it -- but for the past year and a half it has. Even after I had Polar put in new batteries and send a new sending strap. It's just something I put up with.

mbb

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a 725i. If you accidentally push the lower left button it will stop recording. This happened to me a couple of times when I grabbed the flats on my bars and accidentally bumped into the button. When I pushed the red button, it went right back into workout mode exactly as the OP described. That is one plausible explanation. Even brushing against it is enough to knock it out of workout mode.

BTW, what does LP mode stand for???

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LP = Lap Mode

felt35 said:
I have a 725i. If you accidentally push the lower left button it will stop recording. This happened to me a couple of times when I grabbed the flats on my bars and accidentally bumped into the button. When I pushed the red button, it went right back into workout mode exactly as the OP described. That is one plausible explanation. Even brushing against it is enough to knock it out of workout mode.

yeah, mine has also stopped randomly b/c of brushing against the red button.

but it's when I'm riding the trainer in the damn basement that I can't explain the stoppage.

looks like it's somewhat common and just something to live with. frustrating, tho, as it hadn't happened 2 me before recently. o/w I am totally satisfied w/ the thing.

it seems 2 me that folks get varying life out of the batteries, too. interesting.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Lap Time

felt35 said:
LP stands for Lap Time. If you're not using the interval function, the Lp display mode shows cumulative ride time for a given exercise.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Supersonic said:
yeah, mine has also stopped randomly b/c of brushing against the red button.

but it's when I'm riding the trainer in the damn basement that I can't explain the stoppage.

looks like it's somewhat common and just something to live with. frustrating, tho, as it hadn't happened 2 me before recently. o/w I am totally satisfied w/ the thing.

it seems 2 me that folks get varying life out of the batteries, too. interesting.
I had a terrible time using my Polar on my rower a few years ago. After some work, I narrowed it down to either the fluorescent lights in the basement where I rowed or the static generated by the fan in the rower. Or both. I had less trouble with my mag trainer, but not a lot less. I gather they can be pretty sensitive to magnetic/electrical fields.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it may indeed be static elec!

bikeboy389 said:
I had a terrible time using my Polar on my rower a few years ago. After some work, I narrowed it down to either the fluorescent lights in the basement where I rowed or the static generated by the fan in the rower. Or both. I had less trouble with my mag trainer, but not a lot less. I gather they can be pretty sensitive to magnetic/electrical fields.
In the winter out here in Colorado there's a TON of static electrictiy build-up.

That may explain it, as I have not seen this problem ever in the summer months.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Unfortunately i too have had this happen. If you hear the beep you can catch it and start it right back up. Sometimes it beeps and stops and a couple of seconds later beeps and starts back up. When this happens the speed is always unchanged, it is just the time that is stopped. Quite weird. If anyone finds the answer let us know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts