Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm starting to get a little more serious about my training and was suggested by my LBS/Coach that I should probably getting a good HRM before investing in any other upgrades on my bike. He suggested the Polar S725X. I noticed that is a multisport model, do any of you use this model? Any recommendations? He told me he can synch it to his PC and graph his results.

My current Trek Link Team has HRM available if I buy the chest strap but is very flaky as it will not restart all the time after going to sleep during a break on a ride.

Would a Garmin Edge 605 be a better option?

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you get the S725X....let me know how it works. I'm looking at one right now too. Seems to be the cheaper alternative at the moment rather than buying a powertap or garmin. I've also seen a S720i on sale, and am not sure if there are many differences other than the fact that you can't use a footpod with it.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
I use the precursor of that model, the X-trainer plus. I've had it close to 10 years, without any problems. You can download your workouts to your PC to include samples of your HR, speed, cadence, and altitude, every 5 seconds if you want. With the 700 series HRM's you'll have to buy the IR reader to download info.
If you don't have any need to download your workouts (and races), it's a little spendy for a HRM.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I bought a multisport CS300 last winter and used it all summer. It did the job but in the end didn't have all the features I wanted. If you're going to run or lift weights with a HRM then go ahead and get a multisport. Otherwise save some cash and get a bike specific HRM with all the features you'll actually use.

I got sick of the limits the CS300 has.. I have been looking at the CS400 and CS600 for some time as well as the Garmin Edge 705. I like the geekiness of the Edge705 and the mapping features sure were attractive. In the end the geek in me won out against my wallet and I just bought an Edge 705.. got it yesterday actually. I like features..

Basically my main point is to get what you want and will use:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does anybody out there currently use the S725X daily? Just wondering what they think of it and how it works! I not only bike, but do some triathlons and it looks like the perfect watch. Thanks!~

·
A.K.A. Pitty-Cent....
214 Posts
The idea is perfect, however the quality and customer service are far from it.

I WAS using a 725 daily until it crapped out on me. I sent it off to Polar and it took 3 weeks and $200 to get a new unit back. 3 weeks is a long long time mid season and they don't offer an exchange or loaner program. I ended up going with the S625X as a replacement because it came with a foot pod and I already had a multitude of straps, cadence sensors, and speed sensors. (I use this on several bikes.) And although I already had a foot pod, I figured it was nice to leave the 2nd one at work. The 625 and 725 are identical watches. The packaged accessories are different.

Over two years or so now I have always had issues with the Polar products and company.

For example:

On most rides one of the sensors will drop out for a brief period. Maybe interference, distance, I don't know, but it's not batteries or happening consistently on the same route. Both 625/725 do this with various sensors. I have heard this from others also. I should note this NEVER happens on a run.

There have been times when it just won't recognize one of the sensors at all. Typically this is because either the magnet has moved on the spoke, or the HR monitor is too dry. But I have had some unexplained instances as well, but very very rare.

There have been a number of times when I've had mystery connection problems where I just can't get the thing to connect to my computer no matter what I do. I'll get frustrated after restarts etc and just leave it for a few days and come back later. This is incredibly annoying and is obviously some incompatibility with something running on my system. Their tech support has not been helpfull. "Reinstall Windows and start over" is not a realistic option. If you're a MacBook Pro user forget it. Even if you run Windows or VMware on your laptop, good luck getting the built in IR or the USB IR connector from Polar to work. I always keep everything up to date but as of last week have had enough issues that I've moved everything to a specific older win XP SP1 box with no other software installed. So far so good.

Polar tech support and customer service is typical. They want me to reinstall everything or send the unit in. I have consistently run into phone reps that do not know their products as well as I do, and that's bad.

My current issue is that I put a new Cadence sensor on my TT bike and now the watch will not pick up either the cadence or the speed sensor fully. It displays and records speed, however distance and elevation are no longer displayed or recorded. I haven't looked into that one yet as I'm so frustrated I just removed the Cadence sensor. I don't have time to mess with that stuff until after WildFlower.

All that being said, yes it is easy to track data and analyze it, when the components are functioning correctly. It's actually a great system for that and the data it captures is invaluable to me and anyone else multisport training seriously.
My advice however as a very experience daily Polar 625/725 user..... Look at Garmin before making a purchase. They have really come on strong and I can see where Polar and Sunnto will be out of business in a few years if they don't make some changes.

Bottom Line:
This WAS the best Swim/Bike/Run solution there was for a long time. But along came Garmin.

I'm stuck with tons of Polar formatted data and a bunch of Polar gear I've paid out the nose for so it will have to get worse before I make a switch.

·
pack fodder
442 Posts
Taking power gizmos out of the equation ...

I've used an S725X for a little over 2 years, and a Garmin Edge 305 for a year +. For a 'training' tool, the Polar is great. There is a lot of information available once you download your workouts to let you know how you did. Navigating through the various options once you have your workout in front of you is very intuitive as well. The elevation profiles I get from the Polar mirror those from the Garmin (GPS). The Garmin is better for letting you know where you've been, but the Polar is better for letting you know what you did.

My only issue with the Polar is with the sensor(s). They have 2 tiny screws holding them together, and on each unit, I stripped out at least 1 when changing the battery. Glued one together with Elmers; the other is held together with a small piece of electrical tape. Another minor quibble is that I don't like wearing it on my wrist when i ride, and the bar/stem mount is rather bulky. I almost bought their bike-specific computer (CS600?) last year, but opted for the Garmin instead, one reason being it had a larger screen which was easier for me to read. For training, Garmin Training Center is a joke; MotionBased is not much better. I've only just started using Ascent on Mac.

To make a long post short, the S725x would be a very good tool to help you train if you are actually going to use the info it provides. If not, save your $$ and just get a HRM with multiple zones. If you are going to use it exclusively for on the bike, look into the 600; I've read where Polar now has a new 600x out, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.