Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Smith

I used to have some Smith sunglasses that were brown lenses that were polarized. Great specs until I finally dropped them too many times. Better on overcast days. Sunny days I prefer a dark lens without polarizing. Polarizing can make it really difficult to read LCD instruments.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Costa del mar

Try Costa del mar or even Maui Jim. Sunglases made specifically for fisherman have a wide range of lenses for different light conditions. The Maui Jims are very expensive in my book, but the del Mar's are much more reasonable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Maui Jims are very good.
Serengeti are a very close second.
Both are glass, not plastic. Brown tint, but not so they change color perception (you want to be able to see the red and green lights). Two things to look for are how they change the colors and how they fit with your helmet on your head.

Being a beach rat my entire life, I really appreciate the polarized lenses.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
Timmons said:
Does anyone make a polarized sunglass in anything other than a standard grey tint? I'm hoping for an orange, persimmon, or yellow lens that has been polarized.

Polarization involves putting tiny horizontal lines on the lens. This gets the lenses to filter out the light coming in at funny angles (ie. light from reflections coming from road/water/glass...). Becuase they have to add these lines in order to make it polarized, they can't be lighter than a certain shade. While I don't know exactly what this shade is, I'm assuming (since they are the only ones available) its a dark grey or brown.

Basically I'm saying they don't exist.

how the crap do you put a strikethrough?

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Cruzer2424 said:
Polarization involves putting tiny horizontal lines on the lens. This gets the lenses to filter out the light coming in at funny angles (ie. light from reflections coming from road/water/glass...). Becuase they have to add these lines in order to make it polarized, they can't be lighter than a certain shade. While I don't know exactly what this shade is, I'm assuming (since they are the only ones available) its a dark grey or brown.

Basically I'm saying they don't exist.
A polarized optic can be clear. It doesn't have to be tinted. Adding tiny lines wouldn't do anything but cause diffraction in any polarization not parallel to the lines. Polarization can be done by either placing a flat optic at a particular angle or by using specific materials, like certain dielectrics.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
alienator said:
A polarized optic can be clear. It doesn't have to be tinted. Adding tiny lines wouldn't do anything but cause diffraction in any polarization not parallel to the lines. Polarization can be done by either placing a flat optic at a particular angle or by using specific materials, like certain dielectrics.

What the crap was I thinking? It's early.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm going to go try out the Serengeti and the Maui Jim's. I'll let you know how they work.

Right now, the only polarized lens I have for riding are Rudy Project's Rydon, and that Polarized lens is grey (too dark for morning rides, hence the search.)

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Right you are. They've got polarized brown and polarized grey as well as photochromic polarized gray.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Try the polarized brown lenses Rudy Project makes for their Rydon frames or, better yet, the photochromic grey lenses. The photochromic lenses go from lighter to darker as the intensity of the light increases. Should be just what you're looking for.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
I have used the oakley polarized hybrid lenses in my M-frames. Nice, but be prepared to turn your head sideways to read your cyclometer or watch. I spent a while at the gas station one day try to figure out why all of the pump displays where broken!

·
Banned
657 Posts
I had a reddish polarized pair of Native sunglasses that seemed to blur everything. My Bolle glasses work great in all shades (HA!). Like stated above polarized lenses can be clear - as in a camera filter. The tint filters out certain colors & lets you differentiate by contrast.

G

·
Oakley make different polarized tints for their glasses. Depending on the glasses you choose, you can get amber pol ( kinda yellowy and bright but v nice), vr28 ( a kind of brown lens said to be good for grassy/foresty type terrain) and an ice polarized lens ( blue tint, quite dark for the high summer).

Check them out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.