Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've polished a lot of components on all the bikes i've rebuilt. none of the components cloud/dull easily except for the seatposts. of my four vintage keepers, all the polished seatposts cloud after a few weeks. it's strange to me that only the seatposts cloud and not the stem or bars where i often put my bare hands. is it because i seldom touch the seatposts that they dull?

so every month or so, i go around to each of the bikes with a tiny bit of mother's on a rag and touch them up. it only takes a minute with each one, but i'd still like to know why the seatposts dull like this and not the crank arms or stem.

three posts are vintage '70s campy record. one is a specialized ('84).

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
When you say polished are you just using Mothers or an equivalent or do you sand, buff, etc first. Stems and cranks (but maybe not seat posts?) are anodized and if you polish them with a compound without removing the anodizing, they'll get kind of shiny but not not mirror shiny. OTOH, they'll hold the shine longer. I don't recall if I've ever sanded down a post, but maybe a lack of anodizing would explain it.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Campy bits from this era and up to the '90's were not anodised. So easy to polish. Not sure when they started but mid to late '90's would be my guess.

The Mothers polish does an excellent job too normally.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you say polished ... do you sand, buff, etc first?
yeah, the whole bit. my campy seatposts were all purchased in rough shape with lots of zig zags from use. so i used an iron file, multiple grades of 3m sandpaper, then finish with mother's.

if anything is anodized, but needs polishing, i first remove the anodization using oven cleaner. all my cranks, stems, and bars were done this way. but it's only the seatposts that cloud/dull.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts