Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Best Frameset under US$3000

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I love my Fondriest
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I vote for the Magister, because I'm getting it on Thursday. Oh and it rides like a dream.
I don't really know some of the framesets there, so they may or may not be under US$3000, please forgive me, I work in NZ$!

·
Registered
86 Posts
My vote would be for a Moots Ti frame. Those frames are simply exquisite!!! I would easily choose a Moots over anything else listed. If your talking pure performance, then I'm sure there are many that are better choices, but for me, I'll take a Moots.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Kiwi Rider said:
I vote for the Magister, because I'm getting it on Thursday. Oh and it rides like a dream.
I don't really know some of the framesets there, so they may or may not be under US$3000, please forgive me, I work in NZ$!
If I had that money to throw around on a frame it would probably come down to a Richard Sachs vs. a IF ti Crown Jewel, and I'd probably get the IF cause I wouldn't have to wait as long and I'd feel weird building the Sachs up with that cool new 10 speed DA group. :D

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
best being subjective at best, i would go custom. something tailor made, beautiful lug work, something from richard moon or richard sachs would be really nice to have. but i would definitely have to have another bike since the wait can be measured in years. :(

yep that's what i would do.

wait! i did get a custom frame for under $3000. that could explain my bias. even tho it's not one of the above. couldn't wait for nor afford either.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
one of the best values on that list, IF it fits, is probably the TCR carbon. but then again, that's a racing bike, and it might not fit your needs.
my vote is custom. I just ordered a Seven. they'll call me soon to discuss the initial design. I hear the lead times are shorter in the winter.

·
100% Atkins free
34 Posts
For three large, I vote for whatever makes you feel the best. All frames at that level are great, albeit designed for different uses and riders. Decided what you are and what you want, research, buy the frame, outfit with Record or DA 10, ride lots, be happy.

·
Registered
180 Posts
A more affordable yet awesome option....

Kiwi Rider said:

I would go with a custom <a href="http://curtlo.com/">Curtlo</a> and use the money saved to buy your whole part's kit and wheels. A custom steel ride in hard to beat. I think 3k for a frame puts one in the arena of huge diminishing returns. The bang for the buck formula is marginal. Plus, with Curtlo, you get a custom build. Awesome! I owned a Curtlo steel bike for years before I went full suspension. I kick myself for selling that frame.

Jaybo

·
I love my Fondriest
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kerry Irons said:
Doesn't seem like there are many frames OVER $3K. What is the point of this question?
You're right, but to be honest I don't live in the US. I was really stupidly working from guess work, based more on perception of prices in NZ divided by two to get an approximate assumption in price in USD.
This obviously doesn't work, my opoligies. Maybe I should have said. "Best reasonably priced high-end bike" or something similar.

Here's something I know though, Fondriest Carbon Magister, NZD4000, USD2800, Domino Carbon, NZD3500, USD2000. For comparison, Giant TCR Composite frameset NZD3500. Litespeed Vortex frameset NZD8000, Colnagos just as bad.

Opologies again for a not-so-well questioned poll.

Kiwi Rider - Lives in New Zealand as Kiwi suggests.

·
angel of the morning
2,984 Posts
six lugged steel DeRosa's ......

they're gonna be used but if you gots connections with the mongrel mob you might get them as complete bikes.

if'n ya want new then ....

richard sachs
http://www.richardsachs.com/

peter weigle
http://www.bikelugs.com/pacentigallery/weigle01_gallery/index.html

brian baylis
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Baylis/Baylis_main.htm

richard moon
http://cwo.com/~lunarlab/index.htm

nagasawa (from japan)
http://www.bikecult.com/works/collections/nagasawaDP.html

and maybe even pegoretti (from italy)
http://www.pegoretticicli.com/models/luiginotrk.htm

...... will all make you a bike to last you a lifetime, made with their hands and to the finest degree of artistry that has ever been ridden with 2 wheels and human power. any of these will be the enough to last your lifetime (with a repaint or 2) and pass on to the grandkids.

i guess im a sucker for lugged steel - wouldn't mind a nice XB falcon 2 door (with chrome 12 slots), a 356B porsche (silver of course) or a alfa romeo 105 series either ;-)

you can buy plenty new alu, Ti and carbon frames that cost as plenty as above but very few are really special, handmade by just one person, are anything close to classic, or as superbly crafted with evident workmanship.

in all - but the best looking.

ciao

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Sheep, Steinlager and the All Blacks

Kiwi Rider- Sorry about the All Blacks mate as my host country's England. We shall see how they do in the Six Nations.

Where in NZ? My wife and I spent a four weeks on holiday in NZ in 1990. Great place, fine food and nice people.

Good luck with the Magister. Looks nice from the pics I've seen. Interesting to see the pricing differentials in different geographies.

I got lucky. Bought my 1999 Vortex on sale, $1,800 USD. Bought my 2003 C-40 in the UK and it cost me $2,400 USD including 17.5% VAT.

Despite having had a large number of steel frames over the years, new ones aren't on my list of highly desired bikes. I wanted a Richard Sachs or Tom Kellog in the 1970's but for me, it's time to move on.

A custom Ti or DeRosa King would be something I'd like. That being said, I like my C-40 just fine.

·
Banned
61 Posts
Hands down, a Seven Axiom Ti Custom

How can you do better than that. A custom fit, an artistic masterpiece in form and function. And the best part, American made. SMOOOOOOOOOTH.

·
Registered
638 Posts
For me, there is no doubt that it would be a Titus Titanium Full Custom Racer. I don't know of anyone else that builds a nice TI bike for $2100 that is custom fitted to the riders size, weight and riding style. Also it is handbuilt in Arizona. That even leaves me with $900 towards componenents.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
I'm with you Spunout

You can buy a real nice frame for a grand. I am too cheap to spend the other 2 grand for that little bit of difference. I'd rather take my cheap bike on two one week riding trips and ride in a different environment with the rest of the cash.

·
I love my Fondriest
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
boneman said:
Kiwi Rider- Sorry about the All Blacks mate as my host country's England. We shall see how they do in the Six Nations.

Where in NZ? My wife and I spent a four weeks on holiday in NZ in 1990. Great place, fine food and nice people.

Good luck with the Magister. Looks nice from the pics I've seen. Interesting to see the pricing differentials in different geographies.

I got lucky. Bought my 1999 Vortex on sale, $1,800 USD. Bought my 2003 C-40 in the UK and it cost me $2,400 USD including 17.5% VAT.

Despite having had a large number of steel frames over the years, new ones aren't on my list of highly desired bikes. I wanted a Richard Sachs or Tom Kellog in the 1970's but for me, it's time to move on.

A custom Ti or DeRosa King would be something I'd like. That being said, I like my C-40 just fine.
Yea, well we won the Sevens (at home of course). In some regards at least it wasn't Australia.
I live in Auckland (North Shore). I'm getting the bike from Wallis Cycles who have been really good to me. What's worse in NZ is that Campy is far more expensive than Shimano, eg DA 10 = $2500 where as Record 10 (Alloy cranks) = $2800 +. I'm still at school = no bear or wine, but the foods good (if not, expensive) and the country side is great, but the roads aren't.
With regards to the Fondriest... I can't wait :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had that wonderful and agonizing decision to make a few months ago, and I finally chose an Indy Fab Ti Crown Jewel -- an absolutely spectacular bike from a little company that tries hard to build the best bikes in the business. I have nothing against any other brand of bike (in fact, I'd be happy to own many others), but nothing I saw in my research beat the Indy Fab for the beauty of the build and the ultimate performance.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Heck! The way I shop for frames...

bigrider said:
You can buy a real nice frame for a grand. I am too cheap to spend the other 2 grand for that little bit of difference. I'd rather take my cheap bike on two one week riding trips and ride in a different environment with the rest of the cash.
... I could have 4-6 REALLY nice frames for that $3000.

I really like my S-Works E5. Try riding one of them before you go lay down large dollars on some Euro-snob brand.

Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts