Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I never wear a helmet, no exceptions

Votes: 2 2.2%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and didn't find any polls on this topic, and I'm curious: How many of us fixie riders wear a helmet when we ride? I'm not interested in swaying anyone's opinion here, or in having my habits challenged. It's just a poll. So can we agree to spare each other any lectures or insults? Please?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Most of the time

Unless I forget it.... Sometimes i'll walk out of my house without my bike... anyhow I am a regular brian trust sometimes :p

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
if i'm wearing anything cycling specific gear, then yes. however, this does leave me helmetless for trips to the bar or the corner store for more beer.......i should probably do it the other way around, eh? :eek:

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I wear several (not at the same time though)

Still, every so often I like to go without (makes me feel young again).

MB1
Helmetless while surfing the net.

·
Polka Power
1,346 Posts
Most importantly....

Do you wear your helmet while drinking your beer?

I don't...but I know there have been times that I should have....

Oh...I do wear mine while riding the bike ~97% of the time.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
lol. that's great. i've always figured helmet hair is less moronic than helmeted head. i think that just screams "this guy can't handle his liquer.....buy him another shot and we'll get a good laugh" besides, mussed hair will give you that cool aloof look :D

ps. now that i've calmed my laughing a bit. i think the joke may be on us. how many times have you fallen off the bar stool?......though i think the security that extreme inebriation will not cause the threat of bodily harm is a dangerous road. i had a student miss two weeks of class because she jumped off of a mantle at a party and broke both of her ankles. can you imagine if she had the false security of a helmet..... :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used to wear one only when riding off-road, but now that I'm married I wear one on the road too. Not to the bar or on most errands though.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
I wear one all the time, except for things like spinning around the block to check an adjustment. It's not that I'm uptight about it; but with it such a habit, it feels naked otherwise.

I feel more tempted to not wear when riding the fixie. That's another one that should probably be the other way, though not as much...

The only time my noggin's come close to Mother Earth was when riding on a MUT, miles from anywhere or anyone. A moment's loss of concentration (distracted by inhaling a bee and being stung in the back of the throat) put a wheel off the pavement. Physics took over, and I found my head leading the pack towards a tree. Thankfully it was a young tree that had some give. I had to do the rest of that ride helmetless.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
danl1 said:
I feel more tempted to not wear when riding the fixie. .
I'm the same way. When I ride offroad I always wear one, but for some reason when I'm riding fixed on the road it bothers me more. Like it interferes with the experience, somehow.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Jamieshankland said:
I dont when: riding to work, riding the skate park, riding the rollers

I do: Anytime im in a jersey.
i wear mine almost all the time. in gazillions of rides i've never really come close to hitting my head on the road, but its one of those things-it doesn't really take any extra effort to put on the helmet, and murphy's dictates that the one time i go without, i'll do some bazarre spin-around in traffic and smoke my head on the grill on a cadillac. plus, i keep my hair buzz-cut so its not like i get helmet hair or a sweaty head.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
When "training"

I usually do. When puttering around to the store, coffee place, etc., often not. They're probably good things but I don't believe they're magic talismans.

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
so it's not just me...

fixintogo said:
I'm the same way. When I ride offroad I always wear one, but for some reason when I'm riding fixed on the road it bothers me more. Like it interferes with the experience, somehow.
same here-

mtb: Always.
road ride with lycra kit: Always
take the fixie for coffee, LBS, or tacos: Nope. Brakeless too. Go figure. I can't explain it.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Always.

The last two times I hit my head I was riding within a mile of my home on quiet residential streets at a mellow pace. In both cases somebody else did something completely upredictable and irresponsible that caused me to crash.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i almost rarely wear one unless im in a race or serious trail riding. in the winter id prefeer to wear a good toque and in the summer its nice to let the hair flow.

·
I CAME I SAW I CONQUERED
181 Posts
Yes I do!!!

The last two times I hit the ground I went down so fast my hands never left
the bars. I went down on my head and the helmet broke the fall. My body
got ruffed up bad but no damage at all to the coconut.

·
Registered
50 Posts
yes

fixintogo said:
I did a search and didn't find any polls on this topic, and I'm curious: How many of us fixie riders wear a helmet when we ride? I'm not interested in swaying anyone's opinion here, or in having my habits challenged. It's just a poll. So can we agree to spare each other any lectures or insults? Please?
I have the stylish skateboard helmet when I ride around town, but then, if I am going to go on a long ride or commute to work, i wear the other helmet, the more vented one.

A helmet saved my life once.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Always, since I broke one....

before that it was almost all the time...was in a full sprint on my fixed gear when the crank snapped at the pedal eye and i went down HARD, bent the frame w/ my leg and broke my helmet when I hit the ground...first time I've needed a helmet in over 30 years of riding ( including a year as a messenger), but I'm religious about wearing one now...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts