• Yes, I'm still racing a lot but carpooling

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Yes, I'm still racing but I limit my racing to schooling guys on the MUT

Votes: 2 7.1%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
A couple of ailing old cats are curtailing the race travel more than gas prices.

When factoring in lodging, entry fees, bike costs, etc, the incremental increase in gas cost isn't really a factor. Then again, we drive a compact.

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
Yeah, I'm getting pickier about which races I do. Still hitting the key ones and favorites.

But Tour de Parking Lot 3 hours away- pass.

:)

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
At $4.27, I'm getting picky.
First to go, were TT's........meh.
For Crits, No payout=bite me.

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
peanuts

Gripped said:
I was just wondering if the high price of gas has made people rethink driving to races far from home.
Even if you drove 5,000 miles per year for racing, at 20 mpg and now $4.50 per gallon, that's $1125, or $562 per year more than at $2.50 per gallon. That would be a LOT of racing travel, too. That's $46 per month more. I spend more than that per month on sports drinks.

I can see carpooling being much more attractive now. No sense in 50 vehicles with 1 person and 1 bike each traveling 100 miles for a race every weekend. With 4 people and 4 bikes in one vehicle getting 20-25 mpg, split 4 ways it's nothing.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
No. But the only reason is because I no long go to races by myself, but rather I commute with 1-2 friends to split the gas. The only reason it isn't cheaper this year is because I'm doing more races.

Although, I do opt to go to the races with bigger payouts, if there is a choice. 135mi of driving is easier than 80 when they are offering $1250 instead of $250. There's always someone to commute with.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
I dunno. No races yet. But I'm liable not to travel more than 2 hrs for my cross season unless it's a race I really like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.