Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is going fairly well. Six more pounds and I will reach my target weight. I have been using the South Beach flavor of a reduced Carb diet.

First two weeks were no carbs. Lost several pounds but felt horrible. Then it allowed certain kinds of carbs back in, the weight lost stopped for a couple of weeks but I felt a lot better.

Now I am in a slow weight loss mode, eating the right kinds of carbs and have energy for the trainer and XC sking outside.

Hope to drop the last 6 pounds by the end of the month so I can start serious outside riding / training without the risk of bonking due to too low of carb intake.

I will reach my goal. Instead of looking like a cubby Trex I will look like a lean T-rex. You know little bitty head, skinny arms, skinny chest and massive thighs. My wife asked, "why put in all that work and still have a goofy looking body." I Must admit, it takes a certain type to be a "serious" cyclist.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
bimini said:
Mine is going fairly well. Six more pounds and I will reach my target weight. I have been using the South Beach flavor of a reduced Carb diet.

First two weeks were no carbs. Lost several pounds but felt horrible. Then it allowed certain kinds of carbs back in, the weight lost stopped for a couple of weeks but I felt a lot better.

Now I am in a slow weight loss mode, eating the right kinds of carbs and have energy for the trainer and XC sking outside.

Hope to drop the last 6 pounds by the end of the month so I can start serious outside riding / training without the risk of bonking due to too low of carb intake.

I will reach my goal. Instead of looking like a cubby Trex I will look like a lean T-rex. You know little bitty head, skinny arms, skinny chest and massive thighs. My wife asked, "why put in all that work and still have a goofy looking body." I Must admit, it takes a certain type to be a "serious" cyclist.
Why not get into the gym and put a little bulk on that bird chest? Unless you are Lance and depending on cycling for your livlihood I don't see why you can't have a more balanced physique. It won't slow you down all that much and you'll be able to kick sand in the face of all those girly men at the beach this summer--an added plus is that it will greatly speed your weight loss goals.

As far as my results with the table pushaway diet...holding steady at about 198lbs @ 12-13%BF (down from 210 16%BF in Jan) or so...want to drop another 10 eventually, but that will happen when the days get longer and I get back on the bike more seriously.

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ballance is not in my nature

I tend to go off in dirrections. Right now I'm focused on bicycle racing. Last year I did okay at it except in the hills. The little guys like to attack on the long hills and drop my sorry behind. If the hill was a roller I had a chance of catching back up on the down side. But if not, I was toast. The extra weight is a problem.

I want to race this year with 15 fewer pounds than last year. It will put me at 165# 6'-0" with long massive legs and a T rex upper body. At 47 years of age and 17 years of marriage I'm past my little girl chasing days anyway. Now I guess it's about proving I'm a faster on the bike than the 20 & 30 year olds I race against. My wife is just (sort of) patiently waiting for me to get tired of the cycling thing and move on to the next thing.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Diets! Diets!.....

..we don't need no stinkin' diets!! I found if I eat whatI want and stay active I can maintain my riding weight all year. I found trying to restrict myself of anyone type of food makes me lethargic and not fun to be around.Eat healthy and balanced all year and you won't have to worry about loseing weight at certain times of the year.Just stay active and workout regularly. Currently I am at130 lbs.with a BF of 12%.I will probably lose a few pounds come summer butnomore than 5.I should say that I am 5'4'' so I do have a small frame.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
doing fine

going on 6 months with reduced junk carbs, still down 18 pounds, still feel fine, able to weather the occasional binge associated with holidays and travel. Was 5'11"/172, now 5'11" 154. Weight is stable despite only getting out for serious rides on the weekends and the occasional short, after work spin around town. No complaints, no intention to change the way I eat now.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
my anti-diet is going fine

beer, pizza, ice cream, beer, brownies, cookies, beer, pizza. 12 pounds, one belt hole, no need to go to bed: falling asleep on the couch these days. ah, the suburbian life.

·
Registered
348 Posts
slow & steady

I'm down 6 lbs since 1/1. I saw 180 (11%bf) for the 1st time in a long time last week. I'd like to get to 170 (7% bf) and I figure it will take until the middle of May at least. I'm in no rush, if I lost more than 1 lb/week I'd slow it down to preserve muscle mass.

Just general calorie counting/portion control here, along with trying to keep the protein up and the bad carbs down. The salads @ lunch are killing me, but it's the right thing to do. I do full body free weight workouts 2 or 3x/week with another 2 or 3 roller sessions thrown in.

I only do a few races/year; I just want to be more fit so I can improve my general athletic performance.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Lost a lot at first, then its' slowed

I was (stress "was") on a de-tox diet. It was supposed to last 3 weeks, but my wife and I started cheating after 2 weeks.

I lost about 8-9lbs in the first two weeks. Now I'm back to semi-normal eating but with some serious changes: I avoid carbs almost completely. I have the occasional piece of bread or small serving of pasta. I eat two salads per day, 100 0z of water, 5-6 pieces of fruit, and lots of veggies. The weight loss has slowed to a halt. I'm sure the weight will start falling off again once the weather gets nicer.

As for body type...I lift 3x per week. In fact, I just got back about an hour ago. I'll never be a skinny hill climber, so why try?? I did my three sets of bench press so I can look at least decent for my trip to Hawaii next month. Set one: 18 reps @ 165lbs, set two: 12 reps @ 185, set three 6 reps @ 205. Then my arms fell off.... I still spend 60% of my gym time on the lower body (squats, calf raises, hamstrings, quad machine, leg press, etc...)

signed

The ever-shrinking Paul
Down from 203 to 194 up to 196 now ???? but heading to 185!

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
spin classes

kept me from putting on any weight over the winter. A first for me. They also kept the bottom from falling out of my conditioning. After a two year hiatus I'm off to one of my best starts in years. So, no diet, just moderation. My goal is to stop gaining weight over the winter. I don't think the cycles up and down are very healthy for me. And the early season rides are just too painful.

·
Administrator
12,975 Posts
Base Miles + reasonable diet = close to my end weight last summer (dropped 15 pounds of fat last spring and summer!). I maintained pretty much, and with the big miles and hard intensity coming I will shed a few pounds as a result. My end goal is 180 with around 10.5% bodyfat. But I am happy to be starting around 184-185, instead of 198 like last February.

:)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Not bad at all...

My usual weight is around 158. I peaked around X-mas at 164 and 12% BF. I set a goal to get around 151 and 7% by March 1st. That is when the racing starts. I'm currently at 153 and 8%.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well, I've been on mine for about a year now trying to loose weight. Started at 275lbs and am currently at about 207lbs. My main goal from the start was to just get under 200 so I'm close to my goal finally. Hope to have that by the end of the month. I think I'll stick with it though and try and take it down to at least 190 or less over the summer if I can.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just your usual college diet... Papa johns, beer, Little ceasars, beer, Quiznos, Subway, This lil burrito place, more beer, cookies and brownies... mixed drinks and beer, occasional sugar overload at the local 7-11. 172 lbs, 5'11.

·
Registered
21,584 Posts
Paul, you need to redefine carbohydrate

PaulCL said:
II avoid carbs almost completely. I eat . . . 5-6 pieces of fruit, and lots of veggies.
Here's the latest science: vegetables and fruit are mostly carbohydrate, and have been for many years. :) Fruit has very little protein and with rare exception, no fat, which leaves CARBOHYDRATE. Vegetables often have more protein and occasional fat, but still are predominately CARBOHYDRATE. A low carb diet will restrict fruits and vegetables, another reason why it is a bad way to go. You're deluding yourself if you think you're on a "low carb" diet. What you're really on is a version of the "no refined flour, no refined sugar" diet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, I remember those days

UNCCCycling said:
Just your usual college diet... Papa johns, beer, Little ceasars, beer, Quiznos, Subway, This lil burrito place, more beer, cookies and brownies... mixed drinks and beer, occasional sugar overload at the local 7-11. 172 lbs, 5'11.
Back when I was in college there wasn't all the variety (it was a long time ago -- Carter was President) but we made up for it with intensity . I was the same weight -- 155 -- from eighth grade until I was 25. I ate whatever I wanted. No need for good eating habits, I had a metabolism that would take it all.

Then I got old.

Just after Christmas last year I touched 200. Hmm...time to get rid of it. So I set a goal, 175 by the end of May, learned a little about "good" vs. "bad" carbohydrates and quit eating all the junk. I weighed myself this morning and I'm at 193 and things are looking good. Already the gut doesn't hang quite so far over the belt.

It took a long time to put it on; it's gonna take a while to get rid of it too.

-chargen

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently had my cholesterol levels checked because this cycling diet thing has taken all kinds of "energy" out of me,..my triglycerides were through the roof! My Doc thinks it might be all the pasta, bread, and starches I have been eating! I agree,..but how to balance?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts