Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Is that you, Creaky?

Votes: 2 50.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maureen Dowd is pushing the staid gray lady, kicking and tweeting, into the 21st century...
If you were out with a girl and she started twittering about it in the middle, would that be a deal-breaker or a turn-on?

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Maureen Dowd better learn to hate the current administration. She's just not herself without a presidential adversary.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alex-in-Evanston said:
Maureen Dowd better learn to hate the current administration. She's just not herself without a presidential adversary.
I never thought much of her even with an adversary. She's an embarrassment to the op-ed page, which is really something, given the stiff competition in the inane pontification category.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
i like what she's trying to do....but this is just about the poorest execution possible

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I used to be in deep, eternal love with Maureen Dowd. That picture by her column, those Op Ed pieces, that glorious red hair. And then I happened to catch her on a panel discussion on MSNBC. The minute she opened her mouth, the spell was permanently broken. For a time I thought my life was over, but these days I am slowly clawing my way back.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
terry b said:
I used to be in deep, eternal love with Maureen Dowd. That picture by her column, those Op Ed pieces, that glorious red hair. And then I happened to catch her on a panel discussion on MSNBC. The minute she opened her mouth, the spell was permanently broken. For a time I thought my life was over, but these days I am slowly clawing my way back.
Are you referring to her smoker's teeth?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Any bets as to the date the NYT declares fiscal bankruptcy?

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
MB1 said:
Probably not before the thinkcooper-fest in SC. But, I would not even bet on that. I know a retired newspaperman who has friends at the NYT. I hear nothing good from him about the NYT's condition and the newspaper industry generally is in a state of near collapse. Unless we are going to have government-owned newspapers, the NYT cannot get in line behind the major banks and automakers. So, in a word, the NYT is screwed.

I take no pleasure in the NYT's possible demise. When I was a kid, the copy of the Sunday NYT at the local library was my window on the world. I was a daily subscriber until recently and still go to its website first thing in the morning. But, the NYT as we have known it for decades quickly is fading into a thing of the past.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
MB1 said:
Pretty good piece in the current Vanity Fair about Sultzberger and the Times in general. He continues to try to provide decent journalism, the stock slides down into oblivion.

It'll be a sad day for me when they're gone. Right, wrong or indifferent, they've had a significant presence in my life from the very early days.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Newspapers are nice when the electricity is out or broadband is having problems.

Aw hell, who am I fooling? Those times I just pull out all my NNCing catalogs and start looking to replace stuff that not broken or worn out yet!

I haven't read a hard copy of a newspaper in years. However if one is around I'm drawn to it like a moth to a light. I may not read everything but I love to peruse through them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Fredke said:
I never thought much of her even with an adversary. She's an embarrassment to the op-ed page, which is really something, given the stiff competition in the inane pontification category.
Well, how can I phrase this without giving offense? How about:
WRONG!
As a guy who was in the Dowd business for 35 years, and who's read (and often copied) hundreds of columnists, I think she's one of the best. Just because she holds opinions you don't share doesn't mean she's bad at her job.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I still steal a copy of the Washington Post every day to read at lunch. They lost me as a paying customer when they raised the newstand price from $0.25 to $0.35 to $0.50 to $0.75.

I think I might pay $0.50 but no more.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CoryF said:
Well, how can I phrase this without giving offense? How about:
WRONG!
As a guy who was in the Dowd business for 35 years, and who's read (and often copied) hundreds of columnists, I think she's one of the best. Just because she holds opinions you don't share doesn't mean she's bad at her job.
Actually I share most of her opinions about politics. What I can't stand is her cutesy delivery (her use of "Rummy" was like nails on a chalkboard). Anna Quindlen was so much better (I make the comparison because Dowd was Quindlen's replacement as the "woman" on the page when Quindlen stepped down to work on fiction).

Columnists at the Times I like or liked:
  • Russell Baker was the best ever
  • Anna Quindlen
  • Bob Herbert
  • Safire
  • Anthony Lewis
  • Gail Collins
Bad Columnists at the Times:
  • A.M. Rosenthal: Worst columnist in the history of journalism
  • Maureen Dowd
  • Paul Krugman (damn, I'd like to like him, but he is too fond of cherry picking or spinning factual material)
  • David Brooks: Pick an intellectual fad, embrace it uncritically, and run with it...
YMMV, but to me, Dowd belongs on a society or gossip page where she can boldface a bunch of names.

I'm eager to hear your rebuttal and don't worry about offending me.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MB1 said:
I still steal a copy of the Washington Post every day to read at lunch.
I read NYT, WaPo, and LA Times every day, but on line.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts