Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Should the kids mark in the wet cement in front of our house?

• Sure, they're kids, it's our house, etc.

Votes: 42 89.4%
  • No, you evil city property destroyer

Votes: 5 10.6%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The city is re-building all the sidewalks on my street. Tomorrow they're pouring the section in front of our house. My lovely spouse and I disagree over whether we should allow the kids to scratch their initials in the wet cement.

I will check the poale tomorrow afternoon when the kids get home from school, and I will honor the vote of the Lounge.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Ummmm... I didnt vote because its variable for me? So yeah.

f theyre little kids, like under 8 (arbitrary but it sounded right to me), sure, granted that its small.

If theyre past the 6th grade no way. Between 8y/o and sixth grade I have no real opinion.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
your kids ....yes.....neighbor kids....no

small and inconspicuous or they may may you pay for a re-pour....

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok would it matter if I put my name / initials / SSN /ASCII art there too?

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts
In 1987 or 1988, when I was dating my wife-to-be, we put our initials in every piece of wet concrete we could find. Last year, on the twenty-first anniversary of our first date, we found a place where our initials were still in place. Because of a great deal of construction work in progress in this place, it is likely that they won't be there for long.

It was fun to find it so many years later.

Put initials in a small inconspicuous manner. It'll be fun later.

Don't go nuts, though, as warned above, or you might be paying for a rework job later.

·
Poseur
1,677 Posts
I put my initials in any wet cement I could find as a kid, granted we're talking about the early 60's. I always wondered how long they lasted, and if any were still around. I also remember getting my head slapped by one of the cement guys for doing it(pre politically correct/child abuse days).

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
all my cement is signed....even the footing on my house.
On the SW corner under 15 feet of 18 inch thick fieldstone wall, I have written, "Do it yourself, that way you KNOW who [email protected]%ED it up"

I also have dozens of empty beer bottles mortared inside the stone walls...and one full one!

·
Registered
170 Posts
10ae1203 said:
In 1987 or 1988, when I was dating my wife-to-be, we put our initials in every piece of wet concrete we could find. Last year, on the twenty-first anniversary of our first date, we found a place where our initials were still in place. Because of a great deal of construction work in progress in this place, it is likely that they won't be there for long.
It was fun to find it so many years later.
Put initials in a small inconspicuous manner. It'll be fun later.
A corner with initials would be fine, seems to me. I'd let my kids do it, and they're in their 20s. Riding their bikes through the wet slab might be going too far.
My first girlfriend and I, when we were freshmen in high school, put our initials and the date in a new sidewalk at the bus stop down the street from her house. We've both married other people, moved far away and have children far older than we were then. I haven't talked to her since I got home from Vietnam in 1968, But I was back last summer showing my children the old neighborhood and stopped to check it out. Still there: CF+MR 3-14-59.
Holy crap, FIFTY YEARS AGO!?!? Generations of kids waiting for the school bus have wondered...

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
do it.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
so everyone seems to be suggesting that the sidewalks, to a certain extent, belong to the people, and thus, should be used in a manner determined by the people....destruction of "city property" (henceforth referred to as "the people's property") may be destroyed or otherwise defamed so long as the people determine it to be "subtle" or "not too large" etc?

i'm not saying i agree or disagree, but am i reading this correctly?

power to the people AND THEIR property!!! woot FTW

veeeeeeeery interesting :p

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Make an impression of your junk in the cement.

joe

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
Make an impression of your junk in the cement.

joe
i do believe the consensus was "small and subtle"

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
ampastoral said:
i do believe the consensus was "small and subtle"
Well, then it's perfect for JoeDaddio!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.