Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

What bikes will Discovery be riding next year?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
Eddy needs a team!!!!!!!

and the team Scandium has a nice pedigree at P-R. Then they could pick up Axle too. Plus with the Belgian DS's and Belgian riders it'd be all good.
 

·
Self-Banned
Joined
·
16,905 Posts
I'd heard that Disco had their eyes on Axel last year

atpjunkie said:
and the team Scandium has a nice pedigree at P-R. Then they could pick up Axle too. Plus with the Belgian DS's and Belgian riders it'd be all good.

Seems like a great plan to me... but I'm not holding my breath.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
atpjunkie said:
and the team Scandium has a nice pedigree at P-R. Then they could pick up Axle too. Plus with the Belgian DS's and Belgian riders it'd be all good.
I had meant to put the Merckx's in as a choice but forgot. The old Motorola team rode them, Disco could go back to them. And they are a great bicycle.
 
G

·
il sogno said:
I had meant to put the Merckx's in as a choice but forgot. The old Motorola team rode them, Disco could go back to them. And they are a great bicycle.
And they look real cool !! :)

But seriously, no option to choose huffy ?? ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,452 Posts
Eddy himself said he simply doesn't have the resources to outfit a mega-budget team as big as Disco. There's no reason to abandon Trek. George and the team has ridden them for many years with no problems in the classics and Lance rode it to 7 Tours in a row. Trek, more than any other manufacturer has gone above and beyond with research and development for pro racing.
Switching to another brand because of one isolated, freak incident is totally irrational. And speculating on it when we don't even know if the problem was with the fork, the steerer, the stem, or the mechanic is just as goofy.
 

·
Self-Banned
Joined
·
16,905 Posts
Jesse D Smith said:
Eddy himself said he simply doesn't have the resources to outfit a mega-budget team as big as Disco. There's no reason to abandon Trek. George and the team has ridden them for many years with no problems in the classics and Lance rode it to 7 Tours in a row. Trek, more than any other manufacturer has gone above and beyond with research and development for pro racing.
Switching to another brand because of one isolated, freak incident is totally irrational. And speculating on it when we don't even know if the problem was with the fork, the steerer, the stem, or the mechanic is just as goofy.

yes, true and perhaps but it's been clearly established that the steering tube failed and when was the last time a contender in the selection taken out of because of a catastrophic frame or fork failure taken out of Paris-Roubaix? It's been quite a while if I'm not mistaken...
 

·
The Wanderer
Joined
·
536 Posts
How about trying to trick those who don't know better and go with a Klein or Lemond and say it's better quality?:) Or how about hooking up with Easton Sports for some United bicycles...Or even better, why not have an "Armstrong" bike made by Bontranger and Co.? J/K...I think it was a bad piece and could happen with any companies product no matter who it is. In 1996/97 even Lamborghini had recalls...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
What did 'Twrek' do to you?

rocco said:
yes, true and perhaps but it's been clearly established that the steering tube failed and when was the last time a contender in the selection taken out of because of a catastrophic frame or fork failure taken out of Paris-Roubaix? It's been quite a while if I'm not mistaken...
Hey Rocco...what's with you and 'Twrek'? Just reading all the PR threads and noticed you dog on Trek (and in your Sig) given every opportunity. No offense, but I'm just curious as to what's the history here? :confused:

I do have a joe-Trek and was yelling at the TV yesterday when the Trek failed GH on the cobbles. Though I agree I can't recall the last time a bike failed in that manner, but at the same time, it could have been due to the initial crash or happened to another brand of bike. What if Colnago or Bianchi had that one failure? I'm sure it would have been passed as an 'oh well' or 'sh_t happens' as it should be with the Trek as well.
 

·
Big is relative
Joined
·
11,887 Posts
Serotta. Pipe dream I know, but it would be nice to see. Does Serotta have a TT frame? Whoever supplies them has to have the money for development such as wind tunnel time, advanced composites, etc. Serotta probably can't do that on that scale. The whole idea of sponsorship is to get your product and name seen by millions of people. About .0001% of them can afford a Serotta.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Disco 2007 Rides

They'll be on Treks. There's an awful lot of history between the 2 parties, and when it does come time to "break up". Trek will be doing the dumping if they're aren't enough wins.
Trek may be dime-a-dozen, but the sales from said dozen underwrites alot of Pro Trour level R&D.
BTW, that fork failure was very scary to watch. Did anybody catch George's tumble earlier in the race? cycling.tv maybe? Is there a chance that spill might have damaged the steerer?
I doubt we'll ever know.
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top