Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Will Cipo finish the TfD?

• Yes, with the green jersey.

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Yes, but Petacchi is gonna school him.

Votes: 30 38.5%
  • No, on the first climb he will drop out to work on his tan at the beach

Votes: 40 51.3%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
very interesting question....

good fodder for thought. My presumptions say no... but a part of me hopes he does. Day after Day in the mts will make it quite difficult for him to stay within the time limitation. I would say that if Zabel can do it, Mario can... but we haven't been able to see Cipo in a long tour like this....

Good question... I say no, but I guarantee he will be in as long as Petacchi is...

·
Administrator
13,096 Posts
Barring injury or a time limit mishap, he will be in Paris. He has staked his reputation on it, and he still is very proud. Add in last year, and everyone who has slagged on his (poor) climbing, and Cipo will be really motiviated to get to Paris. I bet he even sneaks a stage win in a sprint. But for the most part he isn't the big wheel anymore.

·
Registered
132 Posts
undertrained said:
Now that we know he will be at the starting line, will he finish?
he won't quit, after all what happened this would be the stupidest thing to do. However I doubt he will make a cut on those fast mnt stages esp when climbers, Postal or T-Mobile will put screws on peloton. If Petacchi quits he will be extra motivates to stay in race.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Absolutely no way...

He could finish with the bus if he wanted to, but he won't. He will contest, and I think do well, in the early flat stages, then "crash" and have to quit. My prediction.

TF

·
Registered
34 Posts
if only

undertrained said:
I love Cipo's showmanship and I am thrilled that it looks like he will finally make it back to le Tour...but I would be HUGELY surprised if he makes it through to the end. He has had no shortage of excuses in the last year or so, and even with his pride he hasn't been afraid to use them.

I hope that I'm wrong, though!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I think he'll finish. This is most likely his last season of racing and he will want to be remembered. He's also made it clear that winning on the Champs Elysees is his last remaining career goal. He has finished the Giro on several occasions, and if he puts his mind to it and doesn't overdo it in this year's Giro, he'll finish. I don't think he'll get the green jersey, though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Very doubtful......

undertrained said:
Why will this year be any different? He'll start, win some sprint finishes, get a lot of attention from the press, and then things will tilt uphill. I'd like to see him finish and would love to see him doing the Alp De`Huez time trial, but I don't see it happening.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Will he finish?

Will he finish? That question should have been asked last year about the aging star.
He drops out when? Before the TTT? Good grief. The Giro may tell all.

Petacchi should be the man in green at this years TdF unless something happens.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think that, after about 3km on a hilly spot he'll pull over and, with a wave of the back of his hand, The Diva will say, "I'm off the Tour!" and get in the limo with the ho's/entourage.

But he'll make the sprints before that *awfully* interesting.

OwMyNads

·
Registered
266 Posts
Uhhh.. its devo...

owmynads said:
I think that, after about 3km on a hilly spot he'll pull over and, with a wave of the back of his hand, The Diva will say, "I'm off the Tour!" and get in the limo with the ho's/entourage.

OwMyNads
He's a dude so its devo.

Someone on the Velonews board made a good point when they said that The Tour committee wanted stronger sprinting teams to control the end of the race to prevent guys who have no business being at the front in a sprint from causing pile-ups.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.